Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Service Pack 2

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jankali

jankali

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:11 AM

Hello! I wanted to install all of the Microsoft updates to my computer. I'm using Windows XP Pro version 2002.
When I try to download, I get the error message, "Windows XP Service Pack 2 Cannot Install. The Product key used to install Microsoft Windows may not be valid."
I've tried several times, both express installation and custom installation.
My computer was built by a co-worker 5-6 years ago. I have no idea how to get ahold of him! Any ideas on getting the necessary downloads? Thanks!! Janice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Clark76

Clark76

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:33 AM

It sounds like you copy of XP is not legit. If you do not have a legal version of XP you can not download updates from Microsoft. Your only option that I see is to purchase a legit copy of Windows XP. There are numerous web sites that sell legal copies of XP and many stores you can purchase it at too.

Proud Member of ASAP

Proud Member of UNITE

#3 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:46 AM

Hi jankali. These is the cheapest XP Home prices that I have found.

Vio Software Windows XP Home with SP1 OEM (Branded)

"Branding" will not affect the operation in any way. Branding can be removed very easily.
Doug Knox - Remove IE & OE Branding
How Do I remove The OEM Branding From My PC

This version is SP1, but can easily be upgraded to SP2.
XP SP2 - DOWNLOAD SITE
XP SP2 on CD for FREE - USE IE TO ORDER

Windows XP Home with SP2 OEM DSP

This version is slightly more expensive, but is already upgraded to SP2. This will save you a lot of time.

In either case, do a "Repair Install" to preserve all your programs, settings, device drivers and files.
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

After doing a Repair Install you will need to Register XP and then install all the Hotfixex/Updates.

_

#4 jankali

jankali
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:51 AM

WinCrazy, What will happen if I don't purchase one of these and continue to run whatever it is that's running now?? Am I just asking for viruses and problems? I've been using this computer for 6yrs.!! Thanks, Janice

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:03 PM

jankali
Microsoft Download Center service pack 2
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers
at
https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

#6 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 02:59 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

The issue of installed windows XP, either Home or Professional editions, without a valid key is usually associated with the use of multi-volume licence keys.This can be addressed by accessing the Windows Genuine advantage tool on the Microsofts official site and there purchasing a valid licence key.
After the on line purchase, Microsoft will E mail you a new key which can be used to validate your copy of XP immediatley. This will then permit you to download service pack 2 with all its advantages, install all critical updates and also permit the download of internet explorer 7 and windows media player 11.
In the Uk, the cost of this purchase is 95:47 GBP, ( approx $190.US ). The advantage of this procedure is that there is normally no need to re-install Windows.

7 to 10 days after purchase, you will then receive from Microsoft a genuine XP validated disc, in case you ever need to do a fresh install.

Hope this helps,

Tony.

Edited by Bonneville, 16 September 2007 - 03:01 PM.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#7 jankali

jankali
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:11 PM

Thank you, Caperdog. I'm working on installing that now. I suppose I will still need to break down and purchase a copy of Windows XP in order to keep my computer up to date and virus free???? Bit defender says I have a virus that it cannot fix. Norton's isn't showing it.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:58 PM

try scanning with this SuperAntiSpyware
from safe mode. How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Edited by boopme, 16 September 2007 - 10:59 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 mgeorgevich

mgeorgevich

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:27 AM

WinCrazy,
Will this Xp bea able to restore anyone's windows? is it vendor specific, or can it be used for anyone who uses XP?

#10 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:15 AM

Sounds like your copy is actually not legal so your solution is just to buy a copy of Windows XP or what would be even better because it is September 2007 is to get Windows Vista. (If you have the system requirments)

hope this helps

#11 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:43 PM

janlali

if you are still out there try AVG free for virus http://free.grisoft.com/doc/downloads-prod...s/frt/0?prd=aff
for windows updates set automatic updates (control panel) to "download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them". when updates are ready choose custom install and pick the updates you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users