Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System File Missing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mgeorgevich

mgeorgevich

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:59 AM

O.K. here goes. My Dell Inspiron 4150 stopped. Blue screen came up saying missing registry file, HIVE. Try to be patient because I think I am close. I used the recovery cd for XP and I did the procedure of makjing a directory to put the system, software, sam, security and default files in the TMP directory. Then, according to the Microsoft procedure I was to delete the files. So I did. Then I was to copy the c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\systwm32\config\system,software,sam,security and default files. They all worked except for the system file. It says it cannot be found. So I went and looked and saw there was a sytem.bak file in my temporay (TMP) directory, but there wasn't one in my windows\system32\config directory. How did it copy the file to my TMP directory and yet not be there? I realize that part of the procedure is to delete the file after copying it to the TMP directory, but isn't there a way to put the file back in the system32\config directory? I see that there is a system.bak file in the TMP directory, can I just copy this one back to the system32\config directory? This is a weird one am I am sorry if there isn't more detail. Right now, I accnot use the laptop. Thanks,

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:13 AM

Hi mgeorgevich. I think you almost have it. I take it that you created this TMP directory to hold the old Hive files. After you copy the SYSTEM.BAK file, rename it to SYSTEM. XP isn't smart enough to know to use a BAK file if it can't find the regular one.

Note that this BAK file was probably created when XP was first installed and may not have any of the changes that were made since you got the PC. This means you will probably have to reinstall some of your apps.

There is a much better and easier way to create thorough Registry backups and then easily restore them in an emergency situation like this:

ERUNT

The Erunt restore operation can be done by running it from the XP Repair Console, or by booting into the Administrator account after pressing F8 during booting. Of course, a Registry restore can be run when XP is up and running, too. Erunt is a real "class act" and can really save your bacon in tough situations.

When installing Erunt, be sure to choose to save all user accounts info.

_

Edited by WinCrazy, 16 September 2007 - 09:21 AM.

#3 mgeorgevich

mgeorgevich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:59 PM

Win, I did as you said but now it I just get a black screen, nothing seems to happen. It just site there. I tried to boot in safe mode but I get the last file to be loaded as windows\system32\drivers\agp448.sys. Now what? I am so confused.

Mark

#4 mgeorgevich

mgeorgevich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:09 PM

To add more I get the Windows XP emblem like it is going to start up , but then nothing happens.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 07:38 AM

I find that a manual system restore (what you've done by copying the registry hive files) will only work about 50% of the time. The chances of success are increased the closer you can get to the day that things went south - but it still may not work.

I would suggest a repair install of Windows at this point: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:13 AM

Hi mgeorgevich.

When you get you system up and running properly, install this free utility program:

ERUNT

It is the only way to automatically perform a complete Registry backup every time you restart. It includes a program that will do a Registry restore fom Safe Mode and even when running the Repair Console from an XP Installtion CD.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 11:34 AM

Before I did a repair install, I would try to run fixmbr or fixboot from the Recovery Console. The black screen indicates a possible MBR corruption.

Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503

If you truly have registry problems, then a repair install is probably going to be a possible solution.

FWIW: If you have a Dell system, Dell is responsible for the reinstall procedures, not Microsoft. It's a Dell reinstall/restore CD, MS doesn't make such.

Louis

#8 mgeorgevich

mgeorgevich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:39 PM

Well, I just wanted to let you all know I had to reinstall Windows XP. I didn't have an XP disk so I couldn't repair it. The recovery console at least let me reinstall windows, then of course I had to go to Microsofts web site and do about 79 updates. Windows Xp is back up but unfortuneatly, all the programs are gone along with the data files.Unless you all know of a way to recover them from the hard drive. I do want to thank you for your input though. You have been a wealth of knowledge.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:59 AM

Recovery software I have used with success: File recovery and hard drive data recovery software - QueTek™ Consulting Corporation - http://www.quetek.com/

It's worth it to have one such program around, even if you only have one situation where it's useful, IMO.

Louis

#10 mgeorgevich

mgeorgevich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:23 PM

Are you saying I can recover the data even if I reinstalled Windows Xp? None of the programs are there it's just XP. Some basic programs are there but I didn't think I could recover data.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:40 AM

You may be able to recover some of the data. Any areas of the hard drive that were not over-written during the reinstall or subsequently should still contain the data, and one of those data recovery programs should be able to access it. If it is important data then you should use your computer as little as possible before attempting the recovery, because the more you use it the more data will be over-written.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users