Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smitrem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 reallyjustme

reallyjustme

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 05:32 AM

recently, a browser hijacker (Spyware.Known_bad_sites) (shame I can't figure out which bad site this came from so history doesn't repeat itself) showed up when I ran my Spyware Doctor program. It showed up in the file... documents and settings\administrator\desktop\smitRem\eTrust

When I went looking around and found the smitRem folder, it appeared to be blocked on my computer. From things I've read on the net it appears that smitRem is a good thing? Yes? No? If it is a good thing, do I unblock it?

And yes, I know...people like me are lethal to the good health of our pc's! That's why we have people like you. I so need to marry a hi-techie who cuts hair, too...haaa

Thanks, in advance, for your help with this.

Moved from the XP Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 16 September 2007 - 05:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:50 AM

SmitRem is used to remove Smitfraud-type infections from your computer. Since you posted in the XP forum, I am going to assume that you are running Windows XP. There is an alternative program called SmitfraudFix which I believe is much more effective to use on newer operating systems, so it would be better to use that instead. Having said that, there is little point in having any of these specific removal tools on your computer if you are not infected with the malware that they target; they are worthless.
So you can safely delete it from your computer, it is just wasting some space on your hard drive at the moment.

EDIT: Typos

Edited by rookie147, 16 September 2007 - 06:51 AM.

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users