Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Os Upgrade Needed? (please Say No..)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stateschoolbrett

stateschoolbrett

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 02:22 AM

I am going to be essentially creating a new comp in my current full tower alienware case, with the exception of my hard drive which works great. My concern is that i have heard that either the motherboard or RAM (both?) are often tied to your operating system. I REALLY do not wish to deal with upgrading to vista and dealing with the nonsense i have heard that entails...currently running XP pro, would be thrilled if i could continue to do so with my new hardware. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this...my tech level is reasonably high but not quite that high =p. At the moment i'm going with an asus board, ATI based gfx card, dual core 2.66 P4, and 2gb of kingston ddr2 pc800 RAM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 02:32 AM

You should plan on reinstalling the OS, most times you will need to, then again if the chip set of the new motherboard is close enough you could get away with using the repair disk. I would back up everything that you want to keep and just reinstall the OS. You are also going to need to contact M$ to have them recognize the new system that it will be working in, otherwise they will no recognize it and you will not be able to get updates.

This link will explain this problem in greater detail.

Edited by dc3, 16 September 2007 - 02:33 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 01:03 PM

Contacting Microsoft After a system upgrade is pretty straight forward and easy. They just ask why your calling and take you through the activation process. I have done this several times with motherboard changes and system upgrades including everything but the HDD. As DC3 posted to if you have an OEM installation your not "supposed" to re-use the licensing Key with the new components. I have flat out told Microsoft that the computer is completely upgraded and they still activate the software, they only ask if its on more than one machine.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users