Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery Software

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rze

Rze

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:36 PM

Does anyone know of any decent recovery software that can be used to recover Pictures and data from a crashed hard drive?

Also, I assume that there is a cable that can be used to connect a hard drive via a usb port, Isn't there? Also, would something like this be availbale at a store like best buy?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 05:03 AM

Welcome to BleepingComputer.com, Rze.

Yes there are USB cables to do what you describe. If the hard drive is OK (Not physically damaged) you may want to consider a USB drive case. Once you remove your data you could then format it and use it as a back up or portable storage.

If the drive is readable you do not need recovery software, since you are connecting it to another computer. If you want to burn it to CD\DVD while it is still in the computer I would recommend The Ultimate Boot CD. You will be able to burn the information straight to CD.

Once you have the old drive Slaved to your new computer open two windows. The first window should be where you want your old file to be moved to. The second windows should be the old drive. Next go to the taskbar and right click. Select "Tile Windows Horizontally". This will place the windows one on top of the other. Next simply drag & drop your folder from the old drive to the folder on the new drive.

If you cannot bring up the old drive post here first.

Edited by acklan, 16 September 2007 - 05:05 AM.
added link.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 auntna

auntna

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:10 PM

Welcome Rze,

My brother had a similar situation when his CAD computer crashed at work and he needed to recover the files he had been working on. A friend gave him a cd with an alternative operating system on it called Linux. It is a freeware stand alone OS that can run beside another OS without installing on the hard drive. He was able to recover his files and save them. So if you can use another computer to burn Linux to a cd you will be in business.

I noticed that under the Operating Systems Forum there is information on Linux and how to chose the correct version for your system. Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

auntna

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:23 PM

Welcome Rze,

My brother had a similar situation when his CAD computer crashed at work and he needed to recover the files he had been working on. A friend gave him a cd with an alternative operating system on it called Linux. It is a freeware stand alone OS that can run beside another OS without installing on the hard drive. He was able to recover his files and save them. So if you can use another computer to burn Linux to a cd you will be in business.

I noticed that under the Operating Systems Forum there is information on Linux and how to chose the correct version for your system. Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

auntna

You would use a bootable Live CD such as Knoppix. The is also a free program http://www.pcinspector.dethat some people have had good luck with
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Rexin

Rexin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:39 AM

Does anyone know of any decent recovery software that can be used to recover Pictures and data from a crashed hard drive?

Dave

You can try Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery software. It recovers lost data, pictures, videos, images, documents, spreadsheet & web content from formatted, deleted hard drive.
Stellar Phoenix also helps to recover lost partition from FAT 16, FAT 32, NTFS & NTFS5 file system.
Download the demo from:http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm
Demo shows the preview of the recovered data.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:29 AM

There are many different levels of data recovery - from the simple copying of data from a Windows drive that won't boot, the the disassembly of the drive and the use of advanced forensic reconstruction techniques (and, obviously, the prices vary greatly also).

it would help if you'd give us some info on what happened and what you've tried so far.

BestBuy does stock a few of these "drive enclosures" in my local store - but the availability is limited (and they cost about $50 there). It'll depend on the size of the hard drive (a desktop drive is generally 3.5" and a laptop is generally 2.5" wide. Also, you'll need to know if you need one with an IDE or a SATA interface.

Edited by usasma, 28 September 2007 - 10:30 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:30 AM

I know of an extremely good recovery tool that is very professional and is also free. It is called Recuva and I have it installed on my system and I can honestly say it is a really good recovery tool. You can find it here Recuva and in my personal signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users