Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task Manager On Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shad0wspider

shad0wspider

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:21 PM

Hey everyone, I'm having a little problem with my Windows Task Manager. I was using an anti-spyware or anti-malware program to find and remove potentially harmful objects, as it turned out, a file under the name of tskmgr.exe popped up while I was doing the scan. So I looked up that file online and found out it was an undesirable program. However after deleting that from my computer, my Windows Task Manager doesn't seem to be functioning properly anymore.

I've tried all these various methods in an attempt to access Task Manager:

1. Ctrl + Alt + Delete

2. Ctrl + Shift + Esc

3. Right clicking on an empty space of the task bar and scrolling up to Task Manager

And I recieve the same result from all these methods, Task Manager pops up for a brief second making it unable for me to access it.
Any help would greatly be appreciated, I'm open to all ideas.

Edited by shad0wspider, 15 September 2007 - 10:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:30 PM

The proper process for Task Manager is taskmgr.exe so if you plug that into Start > Run it should bring it up.
It looks as if you have some malware interfering with its normal operation, so you may want to head over to the HJT forum.
Posted Image

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

Download the Remove Ristrictions Tool (RRT). Log on as administrator or an account with administrative privileges and double-click on RRT.exe to run the tool or Use the "Run As" Command to Start a Program as an Administrator.
This utility is used to fix/re-enable Task Manager, Regedit and Folder Options often disabled by malware.

Edited by quietman7, 16 September 2007 - 03:36 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users