Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

website no longer working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 josh05

josh05

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:10 AM

My case goes like this, I started working in this company not a very long time ago just some several months back.The company used to have a website that is no longer working (when you type the address in the internet exproler it returns a page can't be displayed window ) I prefer asking these questions in the forum ,what makes a website inactive like this ?.Also I know a bit of html which I think can be used in web development and it would be a personal accomplishment if I would revive the website to be working again.I'm not very conversant with web devp'nt and I would be very happy if someone gives the direction to follow in doing such a task or what I should be equiped with to do this. I dont want to bug the boss with questions ,they may look stupid you know!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paperghost

paperghost

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:23 AM

At a guess, i'd say either the domain has expired, or the domain is pointing at empty webspace, or worst case scenario, the DNS servers arent configured properly. Whats the url?

#3 josh05

josh05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2005 - 06:59 AM

I think you guessed right.The url is www.expresskenya.com

Edited by josh05, 08 February 2005 - 07:01 AM.

#4 dalcb22

dalcb22

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:50 PM

I did a whois and that address seems to be controlled by network solutions, who sells domain names. I've used it before, and they give you a username and password to manage your domain name. There maybe you can see if it is expired (I'm sure it prob. is). Then you can renew it and get someone to host it if that is what they want.

#5 josh05

josh05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:12 AM

dalcb22 by saying to get someone to host it you mean the person who will be updating pages, right?

#6 dalcb22

dalcb22

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 02:27 PM

To get it on the web you would need a host, eg., a server on which to put your pages (files). Most likely you will have to pay a host for space (google web site hosting). Some companies will just host the site and others will update/create/maintain the site for you. Whatever your company desires.

#7 josh05

josh05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2005 - 02:08 AM

By that does it mean that a company doesn't neccesarily need to have someone to be creating pages or updating them as it can be done by a host?

#8 dalcb22

dalcb22

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:16 AM

Right, if you find a host who will create and update the pages for you. If you have the pages from your previous web site, you can just have them hosted and you can update them yourself.

#9 ColdinCbus

ColdinCbus

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 05:00 PM

Doing the look up on it, it looks like the domain is up to date and registered to Express kenya Ltd. It was renewed in october of 2004 and expires in 2006 Looks like your DNS servers are not pointing to anything.

Name Server: NS2.IAFRICA.COM
Name Server: NS1.IAFRICA.COM
Name Server: NS1.UUNET.CO.KE
Name Server: NS2.UUNET.CO.KE

This probably was your hosting company http://iafrica.com/hosting/ someone may have decided to cancel or not pay for the hosting account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users