Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Transfers Going Slow For Vista While Xp Races.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kaemic

Kaemic

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 05:28 PM

Yesterday I wanted to move some music from my desktop to my laptop and even though it was a total of 5.4 Gigs, then the transfer would practically have been easier if I had chosen to type in the binary code manually. I googled for some solutions but found none except for a blog that recommended that I should uninstall my antivirus which is something I was not going to see as a solution at any point.

Any links, suggestions or the like are more than welcome.

~Kaemic

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:06 PM

Could be firewall related, maybe your firewall is not configured to permit free exchange between your computers in your LAN. Or maybe your "hub" is old as mine and it's a 10 meg one.

I don't recomed to uninstall your AV. But if this software has a Firewall builtin this could be the cause of the problem.

Mav

#3 Kaemic

Kaemic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2007 - 04:38 AM

Funny, I am using the same software on both computers except for the windows version. The node between the two computers is most unlikely to be the problem since its a router of newer date (:

I'll try fiddling with vista's firewall for a bit and see what comes up, eventually disabling the UAC and see what happens.

~Kaemic

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 05:00 AM

Are you playing music on the Vista machine?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2007 - 05:55 AM

At work we transfer a lot of data and we find that Vista is slower than molasses in January when copying. Rumor has it that this will be fixed in SP1. Others have recommended turning off Remote Differential Compression (it's a Windows feature accessible from the Uninstall Programs applet) - it seems to help, but I don't have any hard data to verify this.

Alternatively, you can use the free program TeraCopy ( http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.asp ) which works great on my Vista system at home.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Kaemic

Kaemic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2007 - 08:47 AM

Are you playing music on the Vista machine?

No, I know that using a file and trying to move it can cause trouble ^__~

At work we transfer a lot of data and we find that Vista is slower than molasses in January when copying. Rumor has it that this will be fixed in SP1. Others have recommended turning off Remote Differential Compression (it's a Windows feature accessible from the Uninstall Programs applet) - it seems to help, but I don't have any hard data to verify this.

Alternatively, you can use the free program TeraCopy ( http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.asp ) which works great on my Vista system at home.

I guess I'll have to wait for MS to release their SP1 and hope they solve this rather crucial issue. But thanks for the proposal to use TeraCopy, I'll definitely check it out once I get back to my desktop ^___^

~Kaemic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users