Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Power Supply (psu)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rsd79

rsd79

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:09 PM

I have a HP pavillion with these motherboard specs:
Click here!

The power supply I want to buy is a Mios 500W:
Click here!

Here are more specs for the MIOS 500W PSU:

Supports Intel ATX 12V 1.3 and 2.03 Standard and AMD Processors

SATA Connector

PCI Express Connector

20 + 4 PIN Connector

Premium EMI/RFI power filtration system provides low noise/ripple for super clean and stable power.

10/6A 115V/230V 50-60Hz 500W

Will the PSU be compatible with the motherboard of my PC? There isn't that much information on the MIOS PSU in terms of specifications.
Dustin Penner is the new Jaromir Jagr.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:24 PM

You'd be better off with a better brand of power supply. I know this from experience. Sparkle, Seasonic, Antec to name a few. I'm sure others will post more choices
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:40 PM

Name brand is always best when it comes to PSU's. Keep in mind that some computer manufacturers use proprietary parts, your PSU may not be compatible. Check this before upgrading.

3939.png

#4 rsd79

rsd79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:43 PM

I was also concerned about MIOS being so obsecure when I did a google search. Is Thermaltake considered a high end brand? Specifically this:
Click here!

Edited by rsd79, 15 September 2007 - 05:05 PM.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 05:11 PM

Presently the standard power supply for HP/Compaq is made by Bestec, this power supply is a standard ATX form factor, so a good brand name will fit in most HP/Compaq cases. Like everyone else said, the power supply needs to be a brand name. Thermaltake is a great PS
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 rsd79

rsd79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:10 PM

oldfart, you my friend are correct. I just checked the power supply and my HP PC has a Bestec ATX-300-12Z model. With a maximum output of 288W and 19 Amps at the +12V range. The video card I am getting, EVGA GEforce 7600 GS 256MB, requires a power supply containing min. 350W and +12V @ 18A(or higher).

Maybe, I should just upgrade to a more powerful Bestec model than the one currently in my machine? Like the one in this
listing
. The seller even mentions it as an upgrade for the ATX-300-12Z model, which is the current one in my machine. I believe I have found the right model. The only minor problem is that the output for +12V is a max of 18 amps. The video card I am getting, is a minimum req. of +12 @ 18A so it barely passes. I will probably go after some Bestec PSU in the +12V @ 20A(or higher) range for assurance. I also need to make sure it is PCI-E ready.

Edited by rsd79, 15 September 2007 - 06:39 PM.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:51 PM

I just looked at the one you gave the link to, downside: refurbished. upside price.

Look at this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153023

It has the 18A on 12v that you need and is only 40. USD
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users