Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sleep Mode

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:02 AM

Hi all, im haveing a couple of probs at the moment with my OS,,, vista home premium. When i put my pc in sleep mode the monnitor goes into stand by but my desktop stays on & the activity button is still flashing, i've clicked the monnitor back on & my system has gone to the vista log on page??????. I have a netgear router and i understand the LAN can wake up the pc, so i have alredy set this not to do so,,, thanks all,,,,,,,,,, Ian
Figgis,,,, LUFC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 12:38 PM

Could this be related to your other problems? If so, let's continue the discussion there - otherwise, try updating your video drivers to the latest version. That cures most of the failure to hibernate/sleep issues that I've seen.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jsn_sam

jsn_sam

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:55 PM

Could this be related to your other problems? If so, let's continue the discussion there - otherwise, try updating your video drivers to the latest version. That cures most of the failure to hibernate/sleep issues that I've seen.

this issue is for a long time most of the time when the computer is put in to sleep mode not able to wake up in order to do that we need to manually tun off the computer plese some one help me with this issue

#4 Gene_L

Gene_L

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

Awakening from sleep mode problem with my Vista Premium Home also...running with my Dell XPS 420...goes into sleep mode just fine, BUT when I attempt to waken the computer via the flashing power button on the CPU, the monitor will display for about 45 seconds and then it goes blank. Then the power button on the CPU turns to steady blue. Non-responsive. Must do a cold shutdown/restart.

Dell technical support told me to go to the support website and download BIOS updates. did that but did not help.

I am fairly low tech, so if you are kind enough to help me, please hold my hand thru the process.

Thanks !

#5 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:57 AM

hi,,,,, flashing your BIOS is not for beginners or the inexperianced,,, have a read of this link first ( no offence ment)
http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-m...ios-/45766.html
if your machine is new or still under warenty then let dell play with it and if it all goes pete tong then they will have to fix it for you,,,, the fix for my sleep mode poblem was the gfx drivers as John pointed out,,, all sorted now though,,,, i also had to flash my BIOS recently but the PackardBell web site has a guide on how to flash there machines,,,, or they will send a tech to do it for you under warrenty,,,,,,,,,,, the very best of luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 Gene_L

Gene_L

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 10:35 AM

Figgis,

Thanks for input. No offense taken. I need all the help I can get! Prior to reading your message, I did update BIOS via the Dell Support Site. Fortunately for me, the process went well and was successful. Other than the "sleep" problem, the computer is working as anticipated. I have read some stuff on the Dell forums website; others are having the same problems. I think I will just do without the sleep mode until Dell comes up with a definite fix. Thanks again.

#7 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:27 AM

hi Gene,,,, i noticed 1 thing when i had my sleep mode problem,,,,, if i pressed the sleep button on my keyboard,,, a little half moon shape on a key,,, then it went into sleep mode no problems,,,, have you tried it this way???? good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#8 Gene_L

Gene_L

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:29 PM

since January, I had given up on applying the "sleep mode". Tried it today just to refresh my memory as to why I had stopped trying, and it worked! Maybe Dell sent thru a fix I was not aware of or ???
Where is the half-moon key on the keyboard?

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:52 PM

The half moon key is only on some custom keyboards, so you may not have it available to you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 ThePowerDivine

ThePowerDivine

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:39 AM

If its a dell computer you are talking about (well all computers), there is a setting under power management, it says some thing ACPI feature - there are only 2 options S0 and S3 - so if your computer is configured with S3 change it to S0, this should take care of the problem, and for people already with S0, change to S3 and in device manager ->system devices uninstall the ACPI fixed feature button.

Please revert Back...

As far as bios update goes, you need to check with manufacturers for ratings like NORMAL RECOMMENDED and URGENT, as far dell goes you need to download the update for the respective computer using your service tag on support.dell.com, JUST RUN IT..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users