Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attempting To Build A Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 behr

behr

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:40 AM

So Im about to get a bunch of money from my pell grants/ student loans, so Im going to buy a PC. After searching forever, and not being able to find a decent pre built, I decided to build one. I never have made one entirely, but I have done just about every process at a different time, so I think I should be fine. Are there any good books on the subject? (For Dummies?)

Anyways, I looked up some parts and would like to check compatability.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishli...Title=PC+PLEASE

My budget is 1000$ ish, so if you have any suggestions, please help out.
Also, I plan to use this PC for middle-end gaming/ regular internet stuff.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:16 AM

I just glanced, but I'm not really a fan of hitachi hard drives. I would go with a seagate or a western digital, with 160 gigs of space. That will hold you well into the future.

Also, why spend 45 dollars on a keyboard when you can get this one for 5 dollars: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...amp;Tpk=sk-1788 I love this keyboard, it's the best I've ever used.

I recommend these cases over any other for the price range: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;x=0&y=0 IMO the top one in the list is the best, I'm not a fan of side windows.

Posted Image

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:16 AM

Just a few things 1 you have two motherboards listed. Zalman Coolers are some of the best available. With the money you will save from only 1 motherboard you can afford the better cooler.

Edit: I agree with Oceot If you don't need to spend allot on a keyboard don't.
The money could be spent better elsewhere.

Edit 2: Cooler Masters RULE, Rosewill cases are pretty nice too I looked at getting one but decided to wait for the money for the Centurion 5

Edited by Sneakycyber, 15 September 2007 - 11:21 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 behr

behr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:45 AM

Alright, I did away with the keyboard, got a Western Digital HD, and got a different case (The ones reccomended looked better, more fans etc.) My CPU comes with a cooler and fan, so I think Ill be fine with that for a little while. Any other tips before I jump into this big ordeal? heh.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 12:39 PM

May I rcommend a second DVD, a DVD-rom. This save time when dubbing CD\DVDs. With a second drive you do not need to stream the DVD to your hard drive and then burn it to a disc. It is a direct transfer.

LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-16D2P-08
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 behr

behr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:54 PM

Ok, thats a good idea. I have another old CD burner I was planning on putting in, but making it a DVD one seems logical.

Im just worried about all the parts being compatible. I looked through and tried to match things as best I could, but can someone with more knowledge double check for me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users