Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dang Thing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kelton_b

kelton_b

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 07 February 2005 - 10:24 PM

Hey what's up everyone. Well my computer acts way wierd. It freezes a lot, and I have Spybot s & d and i have avast but it never finds anything and my computer still runs slow. Oh and when im on the internet every so often it says it has preformed and illegal operation and i have to click ok and wipes everything away then it goes to my desktop and i have to reactivate my desktop and it usually does this about every other day atleast.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 08 February 2005 - 05:33 AM

You didn't mention having a firewall installed -- do you have one?
Spybot detects spyware, Antivirus apps detect viruses. But there's an awful lot of malicious stuff out there that neither of them can spot. Without a proper firewall
(not the Windows Firewall in XP) your PC may be running stuff and sending data to all sorts of places without your knowledge. If that's happened, you need to either:
(a) re-format C: and re-install Windows WITH a firewall from day one, or

(:thumbsup: Install a firewall now, download and run latest version of 'HijackThis' to create a log-file and post it on the correct forum for advice on what to do next.

HijackThis download here:
http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

My preference would be option (a) as it would also give your system a good clear-out of accumulated junk files which are just wasting space.

#3 kelton_b

kelton_b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 08 February 2005 - 05:56 PM

Thanx for helping me.
I downloaded it but its a zip file and i dont have anything to unzip it with so i dont know what else to do.

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:31 PM

Hello kelton_b You will need a zip utility.

Visit this link. Read the pinned topics at the top of the page. One will specifically point out the this topic. >>>>"Unzip Highjack This/Make a Shortcut"

HijackThis Logs and Analysis

Post your HJT log in that forum also. :thumbsup:

Yes If you do not have a firewall. Install one ASAP.

Visit this link. And scroll down to Firewalls.

Freeware replacements for common commercial apps

Edited by scarlett, 09 February 2005 - 10:23 AM.

Posted Image

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:47 AM

I find this is a nice little zip utility , Extract Now . I been using it for quite awhile.

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users