Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Almost Killed My Computer By Trying To Install A New Graphics Card And Cpu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jd213

jd213

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:54 AM

Last night I tried upgrading from a 2.8GHz P4 800Fbs to a 3.4 P4 800 Fbs (still use some programs that don't take advantage of multiple cores so didn't want a totally new computer) and upgrade my graphics card from a Nvidia 5500 AGP to a 7600GT AGP. I was under the impression that one doesn't need to re-install windows when upgrading the CPU, but if that's the problem then I guess you can stop reading now (if I do need to re-install Windows, will a repair install be sufficient?).

First time I tried booting after installing both components, the Bios booted fine, but after trying for a minute or so, the computer stopped trying to load Windows XP, then tried to load from the CD-Rom drives, then gave up and said failed to load OS. I then tried putting back the old video card, tried again and got the same problem so I concluded that the problem had to do with the CPU. Seemed I was right at first since Windows seemed to boot fine with the new video card and old CPU, but when I reset it again it gave me the same problem. Even though I have a 550 watt PSU which I calculated to be more than enough for my computer, I thought there might be a lack of power getting to the C drive or something, so I put both the old video card and old CPU back, but this time I got the same problem. Windows wouldn't load, even though I had reverted to my original setup. I guess I should've tried booting from my Windows XP CD-Rom to see if I could still access the C drive, but didn't think to do so at the time.

So I took out the C drive, tried booting from another drive and that seemed to work but there was a problem with Windows on that one so I couldn't fully boot. Tried putting just the C:drive in again without any of my storage harddrives (1 IDE, 1 SATA) and no video card, and finally I got Windows to load again that way.

So I figure the problem is either my C:drive is on its last legs or a problem with my PSU (or a power cable). The PSU is only a month old or so, so I don't think it's that, but I might've accidentally bumped a power socket on the MoBo or harddrive somewhere and not noticed it.

So I'm going to get another harddrive and copy my C:drive to it, then take everything apart and make sure Windows loads as I install each drive/component before I try the new video card and CPU again.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions to as what the problem might be and what I should watch out for. I'll be happy to make another donation to this great site if necessary (will probably do so anyways next time I get some money in my PayPal account). My MoBo is a GA8IG1000MK rev 2.0 Intel 865G. Let me know if you need any other information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:04 AM

At the most, windows should only need to re validate the license with the new video card and CPU, if the cpu is supported by the mainboard. You should also be able to do a repair install with the new parts in place.

You should insure that the cpu is clean with new heatsink compound, and that the Graphics card is completely and evenly inserted in the slot. Make sure the graphics card is on a power rail separate from the hard drive R1=Graphics Card, R2=HDD, OPT DR, R3=FLP DR Fans.

Also, the idea of disconnecting all power cords and reconnecting can help.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:42 AM

:thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm