Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro (builders Disc) Questions?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jkp9900

jkp9900

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:33 PM

here is my dilemma, i have 2 desktops that came with xp pro installed but dont have discs. i am also building a new desktop and dont want vista yet.
i want to reformat both existing hard drives and start from scratch. if i were to buy one xp pro builders disc, can i use the one disc to load on all 3 desktops? will i have validation or update issues, is it illegal or legal?
thanks guys.

Edited by jkp9900, 14 September 2007 - 07:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:09 PM

Unfortunately you cannot do that because of the rules in the licence agreement. :thumbsup: One Windows disk = legal installation on only one computer at a time. The other two computers will have to either be left as-is, or you would need to install an alternate, free operating system, unless you want to buy two more disks. Blame Microsoft.

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:30 PM

Did your computers come with any recovery files on the D drive? Usually if your computer is not custom built you can get recovery cd's from the company if not supplied on your computer. Just a thought. :thumbsup:

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:54 PM

To qualify for an additional license, you must already have a current, valid license for the same version of Windows XP — either the full version or the version upgrade.
Notes
You do not qualify for an additional license if your version of Windows XP was pre-loaded on your computer when you purchased it from a retailer. However, you can still order an additional copy of Windows XP. To do so, simply close this window and return to the Product Information Center.
You may purchase up to three additional licenses for each original Windows XP version for which you have a current, valid license; however, you may purchase just one additional license at a time.

To find your current Product ID
In Windows XP, do one of the following:
Click Start, click My Computer, and then click View system information.
If your computer is set up in Classic view, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
Click the General tab.
You'll find your current Product ID under Registered to.

Windows XP Professional—full version $269.00
exerpted from http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/edi...promotions/wal/

40 Used & new from $170.00 Amazon

Edited by boopme, 14 September 2007 - 08:56 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jkp9900

jkp9900
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:56 PM

well the first one is a '03 compaq, i called them and all they wanted to offer me was a "huge discount" on a new single core 1.7gb p4 and it already has a 2.0gb (kids pc) has xp sticker on it, no recovery point.

the second was a custom built hand me down from my dad, amd 1700 overclocked to 2.1gb (lost cd) no sticker, no recovery.

the new one i am building for high end gaming and have heard vista is not good till sp1 comes out for it.

i priced xp pro builders on newegg.com for $129ish and vista 64bit for $111ish

*so if i buy 1 new xp pro disc i can purchase additional product key codes to use on my other 2 pcs and still validate and update?

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:02 PM

your compaq should have a recovery partition built on the hard drive. Tap the F10 key at startup when you see the compaq logo and that should get you into the recovery program. Once the machine is restored, then you can make a set of recovery discs.

You can use the Majical Jellybean Keyfinder to recover the key from the second.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users