Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Wierd Router Behavior, Need Help Please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hustlerinc28

hustlerinc28

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 06:36 PM

I currently have a linksys wirless G router srx200 (wrt54gx2). I needed a stronger signal so i upgraded to the linksys wirelss N router (WRT300 N [1.1]). (i have verizon dsl w/ a fujitsu modem)
This is where the wierdness comes in, when i connect my modem straight to my computer, there is no internet connection even tho all 3 modem lights are on and steady. but when i connect my modem to the wireless g router then to the computer the internet works just fine.
but when i tried to upgrade, the linksys set up wizard did not work (couldnt find an internet connection)
i did all the troubleshooting reseting the router, unplugging and plugging back in.
i called linksys tech support and they went through all possible reasons and everything in the book then said to get another unit, and then the same thing.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 12:24 PM

I'd suspect that your ISP has MAC address filtering in place - so when you hook up with your computer a different MAC address is presented to your ISP. Since it doesn't recognize this MAC address, it won't let you connect.

I'd suggest contacting your ISP to see if this is the case.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:06 PM

Hello hustlerinc28,

Another possibility is that you never powered-off the modem itself.

The following may not work with your ISP, but for many ISPs, I think it will:

Whenever you change the device (i.e., a single computer or a router) that is directly/physically connected to the modem, you must first power-off EVERTHING, then power-on the modem (modem only -- no other devices) and wait for the modem lights to stabilize (indicating a good connection to your ISP). Then, power-on the single device directly connected to the modem (there can usually be only one -- either a computer or a router) and wait for it to stabilize (e.g., look at the router's lights). Then, power-on everything else.

I know this sounds like "magic", but basically, the modem remembers the MAC (Media Access Control) address of the device that first connected to it (the modem) after the last time the modem was powered-up and was initialized properly by communicating with the ISP. The modem will communicate only with that single device (i.e., a specific router or a specific computer).

#4 hustlerinc28

hustlerinc28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 16 September 2007 - 01:35 AM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Worked like a charm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users