Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi Everyone! I Am In Wicked Need Of Help!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zakky

zakky

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:12 PM

So I have been on this site many times- getting plenty of tricks and tips- and want to thank you all profusely... but now I need serious help, and I have no idea what to do:

I have a wired/ wireless connection. The modem is connected to a linksys 24 gig broadband router in my room. Two wires are connected in the back, and go computers downstairs to the landlords office. Another wire goes into my computer, and the last goes into my roomate on this same floor.

Now there are two roomates upstairs that are using wireless cards to connect thier laptops to this network. I would prefer to wire them, but it will cost money I dont have right now to run the cables and everything right now.

Here is the problem:

When the wireless roomates connect, I lose all the strength on my computer- it runs like a damn snail!!!! So slow- I lose most things before they even finish (like emails).. saying the server is too busy or no connection or the isp or whatever.... all I know is- I have a perfectly functioning cable connection (comast) until the wireless roomates sign on.

What can I do???

Any and all help is sooo much appreciated- and sorry for my lack of technical ability/ knowhow/ jargon- I am a total amateur!!!

Love to you all , and thanks a million for all the other tips as well!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:20 PM

I think with Linksys routers you can set one computer to have a higher bandwidth priority than others. I'll scan the net a little and see what I can dig up.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 zakky

zakky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:26 PM

Awesome!! Thanks for trying so quickly!!!

#4 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:36 PM

Ok, according to Linksys, its called QoS, or "Quality of Service":
http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/me...;thread.id=4309 (note the second post in this thread - also, the location to set QoS may vary depending on your router model)

Acer Aspire 5732z

#5 zakky

zakky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:56 PM

I appreciate this info very much...

But I checked, and have no idea what to do!! I cannot find the "router setup page and Application and Gamming Tab" stuff to even do what they are telling.

Should I ve bothering them about this instead of this board?? I am sooo lost!!

Thanks again for all your patience and help!!

#6 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 06:03 PM

What model router do you have? The location of this function may be located in some other setup page of the router.

Acer Aspire 5732z

#7 zakky

zakky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 06:07 PM

The model number is WRT54GS

The weird thing is- the people who originally set this stupid thing up left the box but took the cd!!! SO I am even more lost. I don't find anything on my computer about the router- there is no folder or anything really. So When I see those directions, I cannot find where they are talkng about to even start.

That being the case, I am not even sure I can find a startup page.

#8 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 06:43 PM

To access the config for this router, you can get into the config by doing the following:
1) bring up a web browser
2) enter the routers default IP address in the address bar of the browser: http://192.168.1.1
3) by default, the username is blank and the password is linksys - however this may have changed during the setup process.

If you cannot access the router because someone had changed the login information, you do have the option of resetting it to its factory defaults.

If you dont have the user manual for the router, you can download the PDF from the Linksys websitge here:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?b...d=9010815453B04

In the manual, on the navigation pane on the left side, expand the 'plus sign' for Chapter 3: Advanced Configuration and halfway down click on Applications and Gaming > QoS (this would be page 16).

Bear in mind you're going to need to enter the MAC address of your computer. A MAC address is a unique identifier for a ethernet card (well, ideally, anyway), and is a way to id a computer. To find out what the MAC for your PC is, click Start -> Run and type cmd at the prompt. Then type ipconfig /all
Look for physical address, as this is the MAC address. Bear in mind you will have one each for wired and wireless, so use the one for the connection you prefer. Follow the steps in the manual and you should be all set.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:

Acer Aspire 5732z

#9 zakky

zakky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:09 PM

All I have to say is this:

THIS SITE IS THE MOST INCREDIBLE PLACE IN THE WORLD- AND jhsmurray IS THE COOLEST CAT ON IT!!!!

Your advice was not only TIMELY, but PERFECT!!!

I am NOT a computer pro by any means- I am lucky to boot the thing correctly!!!

YOU helped me get my computer blazing in minutes!!! INCREDIBLY effective advice that was actually easy for a NEWBIE to understand!!! I was able to hook all that up in minutes!!!

Thanks a million man!!! I appreciate all your efforts/help/advice!!!

I know where to come- now and forever- for ALL my computer needs!!!

Thanks again, jhsmurray, YOU RULE!!!!!!

#10 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:27 PM

It's great to hear everything worked out for you! :thumbsup:

Acer Aspire 5732z