Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirgear ... Clogging The Gears Of Computer Security.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:20 PM

As you know, here at BleepingComputer.com we are at the forefront of discovering and releasing guides about various Rogue anti-spyware infections that are released. We take particular notice to a group of programs that are installed via the Zlob Trojan infections.Yesterday, we have seen a new rogue anti-spyware program called AntiVirGear start infecting people's computers over the Internet. This infection, just like its predecessors, are installed by a Zlob infection which masquerades a legitimate video or audio codec that you need installed in order to view a particular multimedia.
AntiVirGear ScreenshotAntiVirGear Screenshot
When AntiVirGear is installed, it immediately scans your computer and finds the malware that actually installed it in the first place. In order to clean these files, and for the most part this program cleans nothing, you need to first purchase it.

As far as I am concerned these programs are complete scams and fraud and should be under investigation by the FBI. Unfortunately, the developers of these software are not located in the USA, but rather in countries that have less favorable Internet security laws.

If you see this program, save yourself some trouble and just stay away from it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lawebster1966

lawebster1966

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:44 PM

:thumbsup: thanks for the info.....i was able to fix my computer

#3 ajxd22

ajxd22

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:40 AM

thank you. it worked. what a lousy programme this antivir.gear is. Unfortunately i have ukrainian family and if this programme really was written in kharkov, then that is a sad reflection on Ukraine. But congratulations to you and thank you for a well written piece of advice which was easy to read and follow. spasiba.

#4 HelpME!!!!

HelpME!!!!

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:43 PM

hey grinler can you help me that same thing happend to me but i cant figure out how to remove it. is there a way to remove it without spending money on a antivirus software thing like spyhunter. thanks please get back to me as soon as possible im desprate! :thumbsup:

#5 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:28 PM

HelpME,

did you look at this link?
This does not need any payware.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#6 CammieB62

CammieB62

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:33 AM

YEAH!!!
I used your automated fix and it worked great! Very easy to follow instructions, and at the end, the nasty little bugger was gone. You guys are the greatest. I searched and scanned for 2 days before finding your site. Thanks Again. :thumbsup:

Edited by CammieB62, 25 September 2007 - 07:36 AM.

#7 china

china

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:44 AM

I tried to download the smitfraudfix.exe file that you recommend to remove the AntiVirGear and it had a virus. Did anyone else find a virus there?

#8 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:44 AM

I tried to download the smitfraudfix.exe file that you recommend to remove the AntiVirGear and it had a virus. Did anyone else find a virus there?

China, please refer to this site: http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php, which warns you about the following:

process.exe is detected by some antivirus programs (AntiVir, Dr.Web, Kaspersky) as a "RiskTool". It is not a virus, but a program used to stop system processes. Antivirus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert the user.
http://www.beyondlogic.org/consulting/proc...processutil.htm

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#9 esparzatj

esparzatj

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:34 AM

I used you automated fix and it worked great!!! :thumbsup:

#10 carstenzpyramid

carstenzpyramid

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:40 PM

Grinler rocks, he took care of mine with Smitfraud. Worked well and fast. So easy.

Thanks grinler.

Justin

#11 KateB

KateB

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:58 PM

Thank you! :thumbsup: :flowers:

I expect it says this somewhere, but we found that after running Smitfraudfix and removing the bulk of AntiVirGear, AdAware 2007 discovered about 17 registry entries that it then deleted. I think we're clean now. Thank you again.

#12 L.Lives

L.Lives

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:46 AM

You guys are great. Thanks :thumbsup:
"正義は必ず勝つ" ~L.Lawliet

#13 PatrickDSouza

PatrickDSouza

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 14 October 2007 - 03:20 AM

Just a few days back I had also read about rogue 'Microsoft AntiSpyware' and a dummy "Microsoft Antispyware Center" at www.winvistaclub.com . I guess users will just have to stick to the usual KNOWN anti-spy's, to be safe !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users