Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

crazed computer?!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kjs

kjs

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 07 February 2005 - 08:38 PM

Hi there, I have a problem with my computer. At least twice a day it will suddenly go crazy - the mouse arrow starts flying all over the screen, the hard drive makes a beeping sound and then the Start button is held down while the mouse arrow runs up and down the menu. It ends up opening all sorts of programmes and bringing up dialogue boxes, usually the one that shows CPU usage. I can't do anything to stop it, the mouse won't respond and neither will the keyboard. I have unplugged both the mouse and keyboard during this but it makes no difference. I'm not usually even touching the keyboard before it happens. It usually lasts for about 30 seconds and then it will go back to normal again.

VERY strange and annoying - does anyone have any idea what could be the problem??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2005 - 09:01 PM

You have a virus that is intended as a joke. Did you recently open an attachment in an email? More info on the programs it opens would be good.

If your own anti-virus doesn't find it try an online scan from Panda or Housecall.

You might find that in Start>Programs.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 kjs

kjs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:26 PM

I have been using Sophos anti-virus, which scans everyday and hasn't picked up anything. It doesn't really open up programmes that often, it just hammers on the Start menu button and then ends up closing any windows I have open, like MSN or internet explorer. Is it possible it could be a virus? How come Sophos hasn't picked it up then? I don't recall opening any email attachments that could be responsible.

thanks!

#4 gud4u

gud4u

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2005 - 10:50 AM

Relying on an AV program alone simply is not enough to handle malware attacks.

The best general advice I've seen is right here on this site: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/1628/simple-steps-to-keep-your-computer-secure/

Hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users