Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Embedding Applications Into Website

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 holytoaster4

holytoaster4

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:08 PM

I wonder if it is possible to embed aplications on your server into a web page. That would be very handy. I also have another question that is a little easier to answer probably. How do you change the domain of an iframe using a hyperlink, hover button, or text box? I know that you can do it but I just can't remember how
TOASTERS WILL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:32 PM

I'm not sure of the context in which you are speaking; For instance, you can't embed an executable into a web page that would in turn run on the client computer; That would represent a huge security risk. You can run Java Applets and Flash based applications, but they are limited in what they can do (again, a huge security concern). There are web-based applications in which the web browser serves as an interface to the application on the server.

Not sure if I am clarifying, or further confusing you?

#3 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:12 PM

actually i tested to see if what i wanted would work and it would not work (at least in html or javascript) but my second question is how do you use a hyperlink to change the url of a targeted iframe

i tried:
<p><a href="http://www.url.com target="taco"><p>click me!</a>
<iframe src="http://www.url.com target="taco">

instead of opening the page in the targeted iframe it opens a new window

#4 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 08:08 PM

could somebody please help me here my problem isn't solved

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:10 AM

Not meaning to be rude or anything, but which problem specifically are you referring to? I answered your first question, but you didn't really clarify if I had even understood your question. The second question could have been answered about five minutes after you posted it by looking up "<href target", so I have to assume that you already found that on your own.

#6 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 01:24 PM

well, you would think so but the page didn't open in my iframe instead it opened in another internet explorer on the computer. I'm not sure what it looks like i'm trying to do so i'll try saying it better. I'm trying to get a hyperlink that when clicked in internet explorer changes the source of the already open iframe below it. For example if i had google in my iframe and i wanted to change that same iframe to ask.com i would click the link and it would change the address in the iframe

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 01:43 PM

The iframe in which you are trying to open your link has to have a name associated with it before you can target it. If the code you listed above is how you have it, it is wrong. IFrame does not take target as a parameter.

#8 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:58 PM

how does it work then i'm asking because i know nothing about iframes

#9 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 01:15 PM

how does the iframe target?

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:16 PM

Are you telling me that in over a month you have not even once had the notion to look up the <iframe> code tags? You would have solved this problem weeks ago with a 5 minute search....

http://www.htmlite.com/lite021.php

Search the page for the phrase "Specifies the name of the frame for the purpose of linking and targeting". :thumbsup:

#11 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:54 PM

Hello holytoaster4,

Additionally: I don't know if this particular cross-browser compatibility issue still exists, but to be safe, you probably want to specify both the NAME and ID values of the IFRAME to be the same value (for cross-browser compatibility):

(From a Google search of "html target link to open in iframe"):

"Setting links to open in an IFRAME":

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/7483.htm

(From a Google search of "iframe name id browser compatibility"):

"Addressing an IFRAME":

http://www.milonic.com/mfa/2006-January/ad...-an-iframe.html

#12 holytoaster4

holytoaster4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 04:14 AM

ok, thanks guys this helped

#13 Guest_Chad.Clites_*

Guest_Chad.Clites_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:26 AM

Don't be discouraged from asking questions. You might have been helped much quicker if you had mentioned that maybe you were having trouble figuring out the correct term to use in the search engine. When it comes to programming, everything you can possibly want to know is on the 'net somewhere, and good programmers learn how to locate that information so they don't get stuck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users