Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If Updating To Spybot 1.5, Still Need Spywareblaster?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:14 PM

Hi,

Sorry to start a new thread, but I didn't want to hijack someone else's with my own questions (hope that's the right thing to do here). I see that there is a new version of Spybot -- Version 1.5. I've been using 1.4 for years, but will update to 1.5 unless there are any problems/issues reported (?). Some questions:

1. On a previous thread awhile back, oldf@rt and tg1911 (thanks, folks!) recommended using SpywareBlaster in conjunction with SpyBot 1.4, just because it allowed you to immunize in Firefox (which SpyBot didn't). However, now Spybot 1.5 says that it immunizes in Firefox.

1a.
So is there any reason to also install/use SpywareBlaster? (Is it also a scanner that could still be used?)

1b. If so, is there any conflict between installing/using both SpyBot 1.5 and SpywareBlaster?

2. Are there any conflicts at all with the new SpyBot 1.5 and any other program? (i.e. Ad-Aware SE Build 1.06r1, AVG A/V Free, AVG Antispyware Free, Comodo BOClean, ZA 6.5.737, etc.)

3. Is SpyBot 1.5 still totally Freeware and comes with no spyware or malware, etc.? (No offense meant by this question, just playing it safe!)

4. It looks like SpyBot 1.4 still being updated, so any reason not to install that on my new laptop (and stick with it on the current one) until any/all the bugs/quirks have been worked out with 1.5?

Thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 14 September 2007 - 12:41 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:58 PM

1a. Some of the items they block are different, so it's just an added layer of protection.

1b. Haven't heard of any.

2. Haven't heard of any.

3. Yes

4. I won't update until it has been out for a while, in case there are any unforseen bugs.
If no major problems pop up, in a couple of weeks, I'll update.
You can hang on to the old version, as long as you want, as long as they update it, but it's always best to go with the newest version of software, especially security software, because of improvements in the software, and possible bug fixes.
I curious to see, if they got the dialog box problem, with Teatimer, fixed:
Spybot/Alert Dialog, Not complete
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:03 PM

4. I won't update until it has been out for a while, in case there are any unforseen bugs.
If no major problems pop up, in a couple of weeks, I'll update.
You can hang on to the old version, as long as you want, as long as they update it, but it's always best to go with the newest version of software, especially security software, because of improvements in the software, and possible bug fixes.
I curious to see, if they got the dialog box problem, with Teatimer, fixed:
Spybot/Alert Dialog, Not complete

I'm with you on waiting. Glancing at the SpyBot message boards, there seems to be a number of issues to get worked out.

I've never used Tea Timer (I think I read it conflicts with one of the other programs I use...?). If you turn it on and it does cause a conflict, is that a major issue that would need to be fixed (meaning, does it mess up the program it has a conflict with?), or is it just a matter of turning it back off if there is a conflict...?

Also, I just updated SpyBot 1.4 using the SeeCure Europe #2 mirror and one of the things came back with an error, saying that it had a bad checksum. The other three updates from there seemed to update fine. So I picked a different mirror and then successfully got the last update. Should I be concerned about the other updates that came through successfully from that first mirror since one of them was "bad"...? Or am I okay?

Thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 14 September 2007 - 02:05 PM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

If Teatimer conflicts with another program, either turn it off, or remove the other program.
The choice is your's.

A "Bad Checksum", is usually a result of a busy server.
Nothing to worry about.
Just do like you did, and try a different mirror.

Edited by tg1911, 14 September 2007 - 02:56 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:21 PM

If you encounter any error messages while downloading the updates, manually download them from here
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users