Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Virtual Memory Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 waterface

waterface

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:15 AM

Hi
I have a relatively small hard drive space i know, but have recently been getting informed that my Virtual memory is low & Windows is increasing it!

This has happened more lately since i downloaded Superantispyware.
I had pages not responding, media player not working & Adaware not updating properly!

I went to task manager & saw that SAS was the 2nd biggest user on V.M. behind Firefox.
I attempted to uninstall all of SAS, but i find i can't.
I went to programme files & tryed to manualy uninstall, but 2 items won't move. When i try it says:-
write protected or currently in use.
cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk.

How can i delete these 2 files?
I think this is the problem, as in Task Manager, i right clicked & deleted the SAS entry & also deleted all i could in Programme files & then all that was not running properly, like Adaware updating ok, started working!

I have been told i can go to run>msconfig>startup & click on the SAS entry & reboot! Will this delete the rest of the SAS programme that won't move?

Any help appreciated
wf

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:48 AM

SAS should appear in the list of programmes in add/delete programmes in your Control Panel. You should be able to delete SAS in Safe Mode. If you manually deleted some of the files, though, it may not show up there. The correct method of installing would then be to re-install the appliclation and then uninstalling it in Safe Mode; this would assure that all files associated with SAS are removed.
Unchecking SAS from the startup in MSCONFIG merely prevents it from automatically starting when you boot your computer; it will not remove it.

My own (and unsolicited) opinion is that SAS is too valuable not to have on your hard drive, so I would suggest a work-around. If you are having the problem of low virtual memory, you could certainly use SAS's control panel to turn off automatic updates,automatic startup scanning, and real-time protection, etc.. This would allow you use it "on demand" to scan your hard drive.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:05 PM

I was wondering why SAS uses so much Virtual Memory! I have only used it once since i 1st downloaded it & because i am havin VM issues, it prevented other applications from working properly!

I have uninstalled it currently using CCleaner, as it was the only way i could, i wasn't allowed to via add/remove programmes!
I may reinstall it when i have a more VM.

In msconfig>startup, it is still there. To delete this, do i check the box & uncheck the others, or check all & uncheck SAS.

Regards

wf

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:07 PM

Usually, a Low Virtual Memory warning, is due to a lack of RAM.
When a system starts running low on RAM, it starts using the paging file (virtual memory). which is located on the harddisk.
Since the harddisk is so much slower than RAM, it's not a very efficient way to run things, which could cause sluggish system performance.
Up you RAM, and you will be amazed at the increase in performance.

Try to disable programs that run at startup, from inside the program itself, using the Options menu.

msconfig should not be used as a startup monitor.
That's not what it was designed for.
msconfig, was designed as a troubleshooting tool.

To control Startup applications, that can't be disabled from the programs Option menu, use a third-party startup monitor.
Two good ones, are mike Lin's Startup Control Panel, and Startup Inspector.

If you use Spybot, it also has a startup manager:
Open Spybot
On the tool bar, at the top left, click Mode.
Select Advanced Mode.
A box will open, asking if you want to go to Advanced Mode, click Yes.
On the left, at the bottom, click the Tools bar.
Select System Startup.

This lists all the programs set to run at startup.
Information on each entry can be obtained by highlighting the entry (single click), then clicking on the set of double arrows on the far right.
If there's no information on the entry, you can check it with the Startup List located on the tab at the top of the forum pages.

Note:
Always research an entry before stopping it. Stopping the wrong entry could cripple a necessary program, causing problems.

Remove the check from anything you want to stop from running at startup.
If you have TeaTimer running, a box will pop up asking if you want to allow this change.
Click Allow change.
Do this for every entry you want to stop running at startup.
When finished, close Spybot.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:33 PM

Hi & thanks
In the list of startup programmes on Spybot, the item in msconfig is not there!
Maybe msconfig keeps the items there after they have been uninstalled, whereas Spybot doesn't.

In Search>files & folders & all files & folders, there is no item found, but in msconfig, the item is there!

In msconfig>general, should the settings be 'selective startup, diagnostic or normal', i then go to 'startup', uncheck the item i want to remove & reboot as required!
I did this under selective & it wouldn't remove & asked me to reboot gain, which i did & it was still there!
Regards
wf

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:38 PM

As anti-spyware programs have evolved their real time protection and anti-virus programs have tried to expand their coverage into some of the same areas, we have a very dangerous situation of too many cooks in the kitchen. Just as all programs warn you to turn any anit-virus before installing, things like teatimer are just as bad. I have reloaded almost as many computers from these conflicts as virus/trojan/malware problems.

I tried SAS and the online scanner for the first time today and I found it to be excellent, it's using 32 megs of ram on my system, but for what it does, it needs it. It behaves itself very well when I turn it off. I wouldn't dream of leaving it running when other similar programs were running tho.

Make sure you have plenty of free space on your hard drive, it's defragged and you have an adequate minimum virtual memory set. Add more ram or turn off some stuff.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 waterface

waterface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:45 PM

I will when i get a better pc!

I looked at Spybots startup list as tg1911 said & i saw 2 entries:-
ctfmon.exe
Msn.Msgrs.exe

both had bad descriptions. ctfmon.exe added by NETSKY-ADD WORM
Msn.Msgrs.exe - Coolwebsearch parasite related hijacking to slawsearch.

I googled them though & didn't find a bad description, what should i do?

wf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users