Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Does This Mean?.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:39 AM

While researching an item on marine Vivier tanks on Google last night I clicked on a link to a boatyard which installs them. As my default browser I use Firefox + AdBlock Plus + No Scripts as add ons. When I clicked on the "temporarily allow site " button on No Scripts, a warning pop up appeared on my screen saying something to the effect of, " Something" has attempted an illegal operation, it is strongly advised that you restart Firefox immediately. I can't remember the exact wording for "something" I think it said site but not sure.

I immediately closed Firefox, reopened Firefox again in safe mode first and when that worked ok then reopened Firefox proper. The warning box never said which of my security programs had sent it and therefore I would like to know just what exactly what this meant.

I use Comodo Firewall Pro, Comodo Anti-Virus Beta, Comodo BoClean and SpyWareBlaster as real time protection. I also have AVG AntiSpyware, SuperAntispyware, AVG Rootkit installed as back up kept up to date and used in a rota system. Also yesterday I uninstalled SpyBot S&D 1.4 and installed the new SpyBot 1.5 and did a scan after installation which found nothing, not even a tracking cookie.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:18 AM

It was most likely FireFox that sent this message, not one of your security programs. The "something" that attempted an illegal operation was probably one of your FireFox plug-ins.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:37 AM

Thanks for the reply Budapest. Other than the two plug-ins mentioned in my original post the only other add-on I use is Fasterfox. I don't suppose it matters much either way. Am I right to consider it not a probem and probably just a one off?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:44 AM

I think it was most likely caused by poorly written code on the website you visited, and as such it is not a problem with your computer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:18 AM

If you do a Google search, you will find quite a few hits related to plug-in errors.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users