Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 weeminer

weeminer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:05 PM

I bought a new computer and got rid of the old one but I kept the hard drive and made it into a external hard drive for my new computer. I got the external hard drvie working but I want to access a folder I had saved on the desktop of my old computer but when I go to my hard drive->documents and settings->user1 it tells me that the folder is unaccessible. Access is denied. So its as if I'm signed into a guest account. Is there anyways to get into this or around this cause I think it's the only way to get to that folder. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:49 AM

You may need to take ownership of that folder in order to access it.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:50 AM

if you made my documents private on the old computer with windows xp then it's encrypted

this is one of the biggest mistakes you can ever make, when things go south or bad, that data is really in danger of being lost
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users