Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Editing Registry On Different Partition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kinkie

kinkie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:05 PM

remembering why I began my migration to linux<s>...

but for the time being, I'm getting the famouns mising/corrupt hal.dll error.....combined with the R console not recognizing my admin password.

I'm booted into a redundent xp install on another partition and want to try to edit the registry on the non-functioning partition so I can get to the key that can be changed to make the install recovery attempt stop asking for an admin password.

I've got great tools if I can only get into the right one.

it does not appear to be where i would expect it (system 32) but even when I find it, is there some way to manually edit that key from outside the OS?

MANY THANKS!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:46 AM

See the following Microsoft article, which may be of some help to you.

"The password is not valid" error message appears when you log on to Recovery Console in Windows XP
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:01 AM

This is a dumb question. Do you have a password? This just happened to me the other day. I typed in the password I used for everything and it came back, invalid. It dawned on me I didn't use a password when I set up windows, so when it asked again I just hit enter and it worked
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 kinkie

kinkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:14 AM

not a dumb question...in the craziness of the 21st century, that is the kind of thing that can get forgotten, but "yes", I have a password and there is no question I am inputting it correctly.

thanks.

#5 kinkie

kinkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:38 AM

thank you very much.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:26 AM

This is possible to do, but you'll have a lot of reading to do (and a lot of googling). As this is akin to "cracking" the password, I'm not sure that this is an acceptable topic for these forums.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users