Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autoruns Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nu2this

nu2this

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:37 PM

Hi there,

I have been reading about unchecking different programs that start up automaticaly and don't want to mess my computer up by unticking the wrong thing. I am trying to eliminate as many non required programs as I can. I have an HP computer and have been told that HP really loads them up with items I don't really need.

When I view the logon tab I see at the top of the screen an entry that begins with ;
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Under that line are items that have a green check mark next to them. If, after looking up the item in the startup list, I determine that I don't want this to start am I safe in unchecking it?

Is the best way to uncheck items one at a time, then check to see what happens, or can you check many at once?

Is there ever a time when the entire heading that begins with HKLM should be unchecked?

I know these must seem like basic questions but I am not very computer literate and don't wish to foul up my computer.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:56 PM

Hi nu2this

You definitely have the right attitude to your computer which should keep you fairly safe.

If you undo items one at a time and then have a problem, you have more of an idea what may have caused it so it is easy to fix.
You may get away with unchecking the whole lot if you know exactly what each item is, but I wouldn't really recommend that.

Stick around BleepingComputer, read about other's problems and how they were fixed, and you will soon be a guru. :thumbsup: A lot of us have learned that way. Good luck.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 dribdrab

dribdrab

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:28 PM

Check these sites out and if you can't find what you need than try Google to find what it is and doing.

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

http://www.castlecops.com/StartupList.html

Forever Ain't so long anymore

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:13 PM

You can also go to the top of this page and click on the startup list tab. It will explain a lot of items
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 12:13 PM

HKLM settings are a bit more "critical" than HKCU settings. HKLM affects the entire machine, where HKCU affects the current user. That being said, it depends on what's loading - a program such as Microsoft Office isn't as critical as video drivers would be.

So, it all boils down to "what's loading" - research that to determine if you need it. If you disable something that's needed in HKLM it'll affect anyone who logs into the system (which ain't good!) - whereas if it's in the HKCU it'll only affect the currently logged on user (when you log off, your profile is saved in HKU - when you log back on, your profile is loaded back into the HKCU keys.

If you don't know what you're looking at (after all the research) - ask here and we'll relate our experiences with it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 nu2this

nu2this
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:46 AM

Thanks everyone,

I have been able to reduce the running background programs down to 41. This still seems to be a lot to me though. The game still runs slow. Perhaps I do need a new video card after all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users