Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Fax Picture Viewer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joelook

joelook

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:35 PM

have issue with my pictures, the Red "x" showing up instead of pictures, and recently ran a registry-freeware and believe I might have discharged some files or drivers that may not have been duplicates or unnecessary files, that I believed or from what I thought was what might be reorganizing when running the registry-ware, etc...
I don't have a CD or copy of Windows PRO to reinstall/format, etc...So, , with that, I'm trying to see find or use alternative in recapturing or re-doing the default's Viewer/Fax Windows, etc. and either way, Microsoft's pic. viewer's the only one opening jpgs, etc...(with or, of course, the exception of Adobe if selected).
I don't have SP2, just SP 1 running and that might account for some differences or then those or that of SP2.

Thanks for all or any help possible - either way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:16 AM

Hi joelook. If I understand you, you have disabled or dissassociated Windows P&F Viewer. Here's some info:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/n1033599902 Topic Tree view

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1033599902 Topic Linear threaded view

Take a look at Irfanview. Alot of people use it as their default image viewer.

http://www.irfanview.com/

#3 joelook

joelook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:32 AM

Thanks for your helpful information and posted forums, etc. that I am reading. On my particular issue w/this fax windows pic. viewer the standard shimgvw.dll cannot be found, each time I attempt to open or reassign the jpgs to the viewer. + other one or when trying the regedit method or running what has commonly been shown and suggested in many forums, etc....the registry's reassigning the pic. viewer, it gives denial due to library error, etc....also, I have found the shimgvw.dll in the windows file that it should or (that I understand) is where it belongs or should be, so that appears to be something of an issue as well.

#4 joelook

joelook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:48 AM

To update (thanks again Wincrazy) the picture viewer issue's null-void, I took the later of your suggested replies, and downloaded the infraview to be now the existing picture viewer and already hooked, Thanks Again** !

keith :thumbsup:

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:12 AM

Hi joelook.

Do you realise that by not installing SP2, you are missing out on a lot of vital safety features which could easily compromise your computer. I think most people would advise you to get SP2 as soon as possible.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:21 AM

Hi again. Here's 2 ways you can get SP2:
Get XP SP2 2 different ways

XP SP2 on CD mailed to you I'm not sure MS is still offering this.

Download Site This is a 272MByte file !

MS Download Site Uses different install steps.

Edited by WinCrazy, 18 September 2007 - 07:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users