Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Delete Messages In Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Poe

Randy Poe

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:48 PM

Can't delete messages in Outlook Express 6 with XP. Hitting DELETE has absolutely no response - no message or anything. SHIFT-DELETE works. I tried completely reinstalling Internet Explorer 7 and Outlook Express with the same result. This is occurring concurrent with intermittently not being able to receive any messages - "encountered unknown error" - see previous posts and responses on this topic. Any ideas would be appreciated :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:07 PM

Sometimes that can happen if the Deleted Items folder is damaged.

Move all messages you might want to keep out of the Deleted Items folder and into another mail folder you create. Close OE, then delete the file Deleted Items.dbx in your Identity's store folder.
OE will create a new one when you re-open OE.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2007 - 05:24 PM

This tip worked. However, when I send a test message FROM this computer TO this same computer, it goes straight into the DELETED ITEMS folder now. Since this is a friend's computer I support, I'm not sure if it always acted this way. But if not, I would appreciate hearing how this odd behavior might be corrected. Thanks!

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:42 AM

Is the test message sending but when received not coming to the Inbox and going directly to deleted?

Or is this what you're talking about?

"Save a copy of sent messages to the Sent folder" should be checked in OE options if you want copies of all messages sent.

#5 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:43 AM

The test messages never go into the Inbox, and instead go directly into Deleted. Thanks.

#6 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 17 September 2007 - 01:37 PM

The test messages never go into the Inbox, and instead go directly into Deleted. Thanks.

It could be you have more than one corrupted .dbx folder. Delete all the .dbx folders, just like you did for the Deleted Items. dbx. Delete the Inbox, Outbox, Sent, Deleted, and Drafts .dbx's. OE will create new ones when you open OE again.

But DO NOT delete the Folders.dbx file.

If you have personal folders you've created, you can delete those too...if just deleting the main folders doesn't work.... but you'll have to manually make new personal folders. My guess is that personal folders wouldn't be causing this, though.

If you have any emails you want to save, create a separate folder and move them there before you delete those OE .dbx folders. Or you could "store" them in your recycle bin and restore them after the new folders are created by OE.

I'm just curious. When OE says it's going to compact your messages do you stop whatever you might be doing doing and let that finish first? Back when OE would compact in the background, that would often cause corruption of the folders. So I disabled the automatic compacting did it manually; and didn't do anything else while it was going on. Now you may have noticed that the dialog about compacting always comes up after you close OE. I think SP2 made that change. That helped with the possible corruption problems. But even though it now compacts when OE is closed, I will still stop what I'm doing and wait for it to finish, just to be on the safe side.

Edited by mommabear, 17 September 2007 - 01:37 PM.

#7 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:36 PM

Problem resolved. Thanks for your assistance! Removing the Deleted Items.dbx file and letting it rebuild worked. This is a friend's computer I support, and she had accidentally added herself to the blocked senders list. This is why a test message from her account to herself went straight to Deleted Items. That is resolved too. In trying to troubleshoot the last problem, I also removed Folders.dbx, but it apparently rebuilt it ok too. She says occasionally OE asks if it can compact folders, but she always has said no. This computer has experienced occasional power outages and abnormal shutdowns, and I guess one of those corrupted not only Deleted Items.dbx but I also had it rebuild Inbox.dbx, cause there was a separate problem receiving messages sometimes. All is great now, thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users