Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista On Limewire

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jayzce

jayzce

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:35 AM

i would like to know if vista home premium is compatible with limewire? are there any cons using limewire on vista? Hope to hear from you guys.

Thanks! :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:09 PM

LimeWire is on the compatible list.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:58 PM

I'm told Limewire is an invitation to viruses. Maybe someone else can confirm this. :huh:
Tom

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:44 AM

LimeWire in itself won't infect you with any viruses. But there are many who manage to infect themselves using LimeWire. Usually by downloading files with a names like BirtneySpearsNude.exe and running them.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Joe2Shoe

Joe2Shoe

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:29 AM

:huh: I personally will NOT use Limewire or any other P2P programs. It's a crap shoot! And most times you loose. It's not worth the effort.
But, go ahead if you want to spend most of your time fighting malware/adware/spyware infections/viruses. :huh:

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:44 PM

Limewire is like any other p2p site, its a gamble, so you make the odds better for your self & make sure all your AV prog's are good one's upto date & you have malware protection that runs an active gaurd like super anitspyware or spyware doctor. Then when your using it, the downloads with a large amount of seeds, say like 97-100 and all the rest are around say 45-50ish, the high ones are phoney most of the time, wave the curser over the downloads and you should get info about that download, and finaly befor opening any file's right click them and scan them with your AV. But remember this, be prepared to be infected using p2p sites because its just a matter of when & how bad,( Nothing is free accept a virus ) lol.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:25 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Just what I thought :huh:
Tom

#8 isthisonetaken

isthisonetaken

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:33 AM

running limewire on XP for years , jus got vista home (for free) no problems with LW.

on viruses and spyware,took quite a few hits over the years, but thank god for avast home edition real time protection (also freeware).

with avast i really don't see what the problem is, dl a lot of stuff on LW, more than outweighs the potential risks, in my book limewire rocks, also an occasional scan with ad aware personal edition (freeware) takes care of spyware.

makes me wonder what i'd get if i actually paid for the proffessional versions of those programs. cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users