Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It My Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ladyrn27

ladyrn27

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:34 AM

I have an Emachine that is 2 years old. Yesterday it started making all kinds of racket and then stopped. I can bootup my computer,get on the internet, play and download things online, but I can't run any applications. I can't get it to reinstall my printer or burn cd's. Can this be the hard drive if it still boots up ok? Could it be the CD drive?

Edited by ladyrn27, 13 September 2007 - 07:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:38 AM

Hello ladyrn27 and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

When you say you can't run any applications, what happens when you try? Do you get any error messages?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ladyrn27

ladyrn27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:43 AM

No I don't get any messages the CD just does not run at all. When I use to put a cd in the drive it would stsrt to install quickly. Now it just sits in the holder and never runs. I'm running the hdtune on my hard drive but it doesn't seem to have any damaged sectors.

Edited by ladyrn27, 13 September 2007 - 07:45 AM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:58 AM

Just to confirm - the only problem you have is running applications off a CD?

What happens if you navigate to the CD in Explorer and double-click the file you want to run? Does it work then?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 ladyrn27

ladyrn27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:27 AM

How do I navigate a CD into Explorer and run it? When I put it in the holder it doesn't run at all.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:33 AM

What I mean is open Explorer (or My Computer) and see if you can access the files on the CD that way.

The problem could be that your auto-play settings have become corrupted, in which case you could try using Microsoft's Autoplay Repair Wizard.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 ladyrn27

ladyrn27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:41 AM

What drive supports auto play?

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:46 AM

Auto-play is a feature of Windows XP that automatically executes a program on a CD-ROM when it is inserted into the CD-ROM drive.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 ladyrn27

ladyrn27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:47 AM

The wizard says it found probelms with auto play it cannot fix (Auto play V2 event). Either the device is malfunctioning or the wizard cannot fix the problem? Same answer for MMC/SD (F:),Smart Media (H:), MS/MSP (I:)

Edited by ladyrn27, 13 September 2007 - 08:52 AM.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:52 AM

It looks like you may have a problem with your CD drive. What is the model number of your eMachine computer?

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 ladyrn27

ladyrn27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:04 AM

Oh my gosh!!! I right-cliked on My Computer and found that my TSST corp CD/DVDW device had been disabled? So I enabled it and now it is running the install for my printer. Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOO much for all the tech support and all the websites. It was so simple and I feel quite silly,but all your info led me to the problem. Guess I'll take the new hard drive i Bought back to Circuit City and buy memory instead. Have a Great Day!!!!!

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:07 AM

Glad to hear it worked out :thumbsup:

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users