Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Shut Down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eccentric

eccentric

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:27 PM

Hello

Here is the scenario...

Whenever I shut down the system is just freezes, I can see a blank blue scree with mouse cursor and it sits there infinitely.
I have to press teh power button for few seconds to shut it down. I have deleted temp files, disk cleanup is over, ran sfc /scannow to check any errors but failed Please give me a suggestion to come out of this situation. A tweak to make the shut down faster would also me appreciated if any. However, I need few tips to get out of this frustation. Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:56 AM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time you attempted to shut the computer down.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all three categories (Application, Security, and System).

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:42 PM

Often XP's exit sound file gets corrupt and if it does not run then XP won't shut down. I am not sure based on what you have told us so far if this is the issue or not, but let's see:

Go to:

Start > Control Panel > Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds tab

Under Program Events scroll down until you see Exit Windows. Highlight Exit Windows by clicking on it once. Then under Sounds choose None. Click Apply and finally OK.

Reboot if possible, or shut down computer and restart manually. Once it is up and running, shut down computer by going to Start > Turn Off Computer. See if it will shut down on it's own now.

If it does, the only difference will be that you will not longer hear the 2 seconds of music that XP usually plays as it shuts down.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:46 AM

A nice guide for troubleshooting shutdown issues in XP: http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users