Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hacktool Rootkit Virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:17 PM

Every time I start my laptop, I receive a auto-protect result with HACKTOOL ROOTKIT infecting my files and deleting them automatically. Each time I start up, different files are infected and deleted. I did a virus scan but the problem still cant be solve.

Why is this occurring and how do I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,763 posts
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:25 AM

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.

Post a Hijack This Log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below if the programs above have not removed ALL malware. DO NOT post a log in this forum. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

How to Start Windows in Safe Mode:

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,745 posts
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:11 AM

What program is telling you about the Hacktool Rootkit? Is it providing the name/location of a specific file(s)?

Please download AVG Anti-Rootkit and save to your desktop
  • Double click avgarkt-setup- to install. By default it will install to C:\Program Files\GRISOFT\AVG Anti-Rootkit
  • Accept the license and follow the prompts to install.
  • You will be asked to reboot to finish the installation so click "Finish".
  • After rebooting, double-click the icon for AVG Anti-Rootkit on your desktop.
  • You will see a window with four buttons at the bottom.
  • Click "Search For Rootkits" and the scan will begin.
  • You will see the progress bar moving from left to right. The scan will take some so be patient and let it finish.
  • When the scan has finished, a small window will open so you can view the results.
  • Right click and select "Save Result To File".
  • By default the file will be saved with a .csv extension. (You can use notepad to open the .cvs file)
  • If anything was found, click "Remove selected items"
  • If nothing was found, please click the "Perform in-depth Search" saving anything found to file as before.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users