Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Ubuntu Partitioning

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Fractal

Fractal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:14 PM

Hi everyone. My hard drive is divided into C (17GB) and F (20GB), with Windows XP on C, and Ubuntu on F. Using Parted Magic, I partitioned F like this:

1. 3GB ext3 logical partition to be used by Linux/home user directory.
2. 1.5GB swap logical partition
3. 12.5GB ext3 logical partition to install Linux to

However, when i ran the install of Ubuntu 7.04 from live CD, I was given the choice to partition my hard drive again. I was given the ability to choose where the Swap would go and where the Root would go. I think that's where i screwed up. I marked the 1.5GB partition to be used as Swap, but I marked the 3GB partition to be used for the Root, because I didn't know what it was. Right now, there is 500MB of space left in the partition used for Root, and the 12.5GB partition is empty. Should I partition the disk like this:

1. 3GB ext3 logical partition for /home.
2. 1.5 GB swap logical partition for swap.
3. 12.5GB logical partition for root

If the above isn't optimal, is there another set of partitions you guys might suggest?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:20 PM

I always like to partiton like this:

10gb /root
2x RAM size /swap