Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Age You Got Into Computers

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 i have no name

i have no name

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:42 PM

I dont know if this is personnel to you so you dont have to answer it but what age did your get into seriously liking computers, like building them and that stuff?

I start around 11 and built my first at 14
My system specs
Small chip that goes fast some spinning things a case, a mouse, and a keyboard and a wonderful rectanlge box of colors.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:47 PM

1949 - I was given an abacus to learn to count (and spell too?).

It's been a full on chase and love of such since then.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:03 PM

at 12 was programming one of the first smaller "calculator" style computers. You had to take a card, punch out holes on a corresponding grid to create the methods of calculation, then feed in the card for your answers. Then our high school was one of the first to get TRS80's and i spent most of my free periods learning and using Basic, at 16 i got a Vic20, then a Commodore64, then a Texas Instruments128, and when i went into the work-force i was using one of the "latest" machines that used floppy discs wow !!!!!!

Never built my first machine until 3 years ago, just didn't need to with all the technology freely available to me anyways. *sigh* those were the days lol
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

#4 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:06 PM

I first used them around 10 or 11 years old ( 20 now ) broke the thing many times but hey thats how i learned how to fix it lol

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:07 PM

Built my first crystal radio when I was 8. Been into electronics one form or another since then. My dad was an Elec. engineer for the government his whole life. Guess it rubbed off . He was around for the Color Computer. Wish he was here now to see how far it's gone
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:10 PM

i remember making one of those crystal radios when i was younger, got a kit from dick smith electronics, didnt work very well tho...

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:58 PM

I was about 32 when I first worked on a computer back in the late 80's. My first computer was an Amstrad. It had 2 floppy drives, 5 1/4 inch, and I put a 20meg hard drive in that cost $400 and took me half a day with all the modifying that had to be done to make it fit where my old drive was. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:07 PM

My Grandmother ave us an Atari PC thingy when I was like 3 I learned to program a little basic on it before upgrading to a desktop PC. I have always played on PC's and hopefully will get to continue. As for building one havent done it yet. I buy mine with a warranty so if it gets really bad hardware wise I can send it back.

Posted Image

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:39 PM

8 years old or so we got a windows 3.11 given to us. By the 3rd grade I was fixing minor things and was able to know a lot about them by 12.

Now I have built a computer and helped many here and locally at home with the computers.

#10 EddieT.H.

EddieT.H.

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:30 PM

age 8? PBS.org from watching Arthur and Zoomafoo i think. Assembled my first computer when i was 13.
Posted Image

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:40 PM

29 when I joined the Army. (1976)
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#12 i have no name

i have no name
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:06 PM

I feel kind of young at this forum i am 14 just about 15. But i have seen those old things and i amd kind of glad i wasnt around then
My system specs
Small chip that goes fast some spinning things a case, a mouse, and a keyboard and a wonderful rectanlge box of colors.

#13 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:45 PM

I was 5 years old (Kindergarten) when I got hooked on computers. My first one was a 386sx IBM. Had 128MB hard drive and 1 MB of RAM! I never thought I would fill up the hard drive at the time. :flowers: Boy was I wrong! :thumbsup:

#14 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 02:43 PM

Oh, Lord! You're all so young!

I got my first computer in late 1999. A used Packard Bell with 95 on it and barely ran 98. 1.2 gb hdd and "upgraded" by a friend to 32 MB RAM. I was 55 years old then.

"Old Cranky", as I affectionately call him, taught me what I wanted with my next computer. He's still taking up space in a corner of the office, gathering dust. I just can't bring myself to let him go.

Within six months I had a pretty nice HP desktop, with Windows Me. I joined a PC Help Club and even tested and wrote software reviews for vendors. The first time I added more RAM I was nearly naked and sweating bullets. I was so afraid I'd toast it with static. It was not a pretty picture, but I got the job done. :flowers:

All I know about computers is basically self taught, and I'm now my family's computer "guru". They bring their computers to me when it's time to upgrade their hardware or reinstall Windows.

A couple of years ago, I gutted the HP (which is in another corner) and moved the hdd, RAM, and cdrom into a unit a friend sent to me from the UK. He built it. When he built himself a newer computer, he sent this one to me. Since then I've added a new hdd and dvd writer.

Which goes to show you that can teach an old dog new tricks. :thumbsup:

Edited by mommabear, 14 September 2007 - 02:47 PM.

#15 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:09 PM

Oh, Lord! You're all so young!

See post #2 above?

I first started using USA Govt "computers" in 1969. There were no others available to the general public then.

They were the size of refrigerators today and made by a company called SAVIN... he he

DOS didn't exist then either - I don't think.

BTW - I still have that very old abacus - I got it in 1949 - but it a few hundred years older too.

One and one are two, two and two are four, etc, et al, to the billions... he he

Edited by KoanYorel, 14 September 2007 - 03:15 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users