Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jim221061

jim221061

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:16 PM

hi brought a new grapics card to install on my computer packard bell windows xp home
running with onboard graphics
installed the card but could not use the mouse and it still booted up with the onboard graphics
have been told disable onboard graphics in the bois but dont know what to look for

(Moderator edit: moved post to more appropriate forum and added Topic Description. jgweed)

Edited by jim221061, 12 September 2007 - 01:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WGF_Bombproof

WGF_Bombproof

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:57 PM

you may have to configire your computer's bios.

do you know how to access your bios setup?
usualy when you restart your computer, right when it comes on, there will be something like:
"hit delete to enter setup"
or like my computer it's the "F9 key"
it may vary between makes and modules but in moest cases it will be "delete" or "F9"

do you have your motherbord's manual? if so look for instructions to enter the bios setup

NOTE
Do not change anything in the Bios setup if you are not sure what it is or what it does,
changing the wrong stuff can realy mess with a computer.

once your in the bios setup, then you'll have to look around, each bios is defferent and to navigate it may even be tricky.

look for the place where you can change your "defult graphics", "primary display" "innitial desplay" or something along that line.
see what options ara available and write it down. then exit the bios (pressing "Esc" usualy works, do not save changes if you did not chang anything on purpouse)

come here and Report the options available.
also name the type of slot where you installed your graphics card and the procedure that you followed.
did you first install your card and then the software or did you first install the software.

also give us the name of your card.
Boom!

Ha Ha you missed

#3 jim221061

jim221061
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:20 PM

yes i do know how to access the bios
the slot is the agp
the card is a nvidia geforce 7300 gt 512mb ddr2
will get back with the bios info
installed the card but could not install the cd that came with it due to not being able to use the mouse
when i enter bios
at the top i get main ,dvanced ,power,boot
which one do i look under?

Edited by jim221061, 12 September 2007 - 02:32 PM.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:09 PM

You can see the desktop with the card but not use the mouse? Boot using your onboard GPU and install the driver disk. Then reboot and go into the bios and change it. should be either under Boot or advanced.

Posted Image

#5 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:40 PM

Does the mouse use a PS/2 connection? Can you try a USB mouse?

#6 jim221061

jim221061
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:43 PM

the mouse is a logitec cordless

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:06 AM

Most mice today include a usb-Ps/2 adapter try using the adapter and see if it works, Also like blackspyder mentioned install the drivers first, then switch cards, then disable the onboard, and reboot.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:33 AM

After re-reading my post I got that backwards. You won't be able to properly install the drivers untill the card is installed. You should uninstall the software for the onboard video card if it uses any drivers other than windows. Then turn off the computer unplug it, install the new card, then (plug it back in first) Reboot into the bios, disable the onboard graphics, then boot into windows and install the new drivers. This will prevent compatibility problems with the old drivers and the new drivers, the old graphics adapter and the new one.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users