Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Edit My Pics For Selling My House On Estate Agent Websites

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:51 PM

Hi All :flowers:

I've just put my house on the market, and some of my photos have come out really well with good clarity and quality to post on the Estate/Real Estate Agents website.

Some of them have not. They are too blurred or whatever to make the cut.

My camera is the compact Pentax Optio S5Z. I'm ashamed to admit that I generally used the "Quick Green Mode" - I haven't quite got around to the other options.

I was going to detail the shutter speed and f stop, but pointless unless I post the images too, which I wasn't sure would be useful or not to helping me out. Let me know if I should.

Anyway, the estate agent wants to add my house to the site tomorrow, so could really use some help. I've looked into many of the help and how to's, but right now they are too complicated or not specifically aimed at what I'm after. So any "detailed help" would be extremly appreciated.

Many thanks.

P.s - I use Vista Home Premium
:thumbsup:

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:29 PM

A simple program for editing images, is IrfanView.
It can do basic color enhancement, sharpening, etc.

Did you use a tripod to take the images?
If you don't have one, try propping the camera against a tree, on a car, anything that will hold it steady.
Also, don't move the camera immediately after taking the image.
Keep it steady for a couple of seconds after you hit the shutter release, since it takes digitals a little longer to capture the image.
Be sure to slowly squeeze the shutter release, instead of snapping it, which tends to jerk the camera, causing a blurry image.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:05 PM

Hi tg1911. Been awhile since we last traded posts.!! I had a feeling that you might be the one that would reply to my post, seeing how active you in this forum.

Your reply is as always appreciated, but in this case, I'm looking for a "bit more". I've been photographing for many years, namely, wildlife, african tribes, landscapes etc - but, I was shooting with the ("old-fashioned..!!) SLR. So it's not so much the holding, steadying type of help I need, but more to do with "editing digital images" help.

I have Picasa, Adobe Photoshop "Album Starter Edition", MS Office Picture Manager, Paint, and Irfanview that you mentioned. I mainly use Picasa, but find it frustrating. Picasa does give options for "straightening" which is of course pretty helpfull. I think that the problem lies within the "editing software" stage. My biggest problem is how to deal with indoor shots, with plenty of natural light streaming in, but this causes blow-out, and therefore images with huge contrasts in light and shade. Taking even tone shots - how to edit shots that have areas lit by a shaft of sunlight that I find so hard to edit accordingly.

Often though, I have managed to end up with great results - but more often "not". It's really about the "settings" and then the editing that is most appropriate for taking pics that are for using on the web, such as Real Estate Agent's websites. I've attached a couple of shots that probably show what I'm attempting to describe.

Posted Image

The wall outside the kitchen always gives a glare such as in this photo. Is this editable??
Posted Image

??????
Many thanks
Nat :thumbsup:

A simple program for editing images, is IrfanView.
It can do basic color enhancement, sharpening, etc.

Did you use a tripod to take the images?
If you don't have one, try propping the camera against a tree, on a car, anything that will hold it steady.
Also, don't move the camera immediately after taking the image.
Keep it steady for a couple of seconds after you hit the shutter release, since it takes digitals a little longer to capture the image.
Be sure to slowly squeeze the shutter release, instead of snapping it, which tends to jerk the camera, causing a blurry image.

XP Professional FIrefox 3

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:26 PM

Hi Nat! It appears that your camera is picking up the glare, and using it as a focal point and as a metering point for it's exposure. The best way around this (aside from shooting manually) is to put up curtains, or wait until it's getting dark out (after the sun sets) to avoid the direct ambient lighting. You can try using a flash indoors when snapping shots, as this will help to reduce shadowing that the extreme contrasts that you're running into.

You can try standing up and shooting downwards to help show the counter top. You might get a glare, so try waiting until the sun is going down (or coming up if you're an early bird!). What exactly were you looking to edit in that 2nd photo?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users