Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading My Pc

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tim.t

tim.t

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:23 PM

hey there.......i consider myself fairly incompetent about computers and what pieces fit together well.....

what i need help w/ is to make sure that as i upgrade my current computer that i don't screw myself and buy something that wont work w/ my mother board and what not....

all i want to do is upgrade my processor and video card and these are what i had in mind:

processor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103776

video card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102086

i guess what I'm really asking is for what kinda stuff i should be looking out for i know my desktop definitely has AGP 4x/8x as my current video card is a Sapphire Radeon 9600 pro atlantis w/ 128mb

other than looking out for what kinda slot it needs.....I'm clueless.....
and for the process I'm just as clueless......i currently have an AMD athlon xp 2000+ 1.7ghz.....

any help would be much appreciated....thanks

oh! and in case you were wondering.....i know how to at least put a computer together....i put my current one together....just didn't pick the pieces.....=/
if you need any other information just let me know!!

thanks alot!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WGF_Bombproof

WGF_Bombproof

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:12 PM

that graphix card
SAPPHIRE 100198L Radeon X1650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card
sould fit without a problem.

I'm not sure about the prosessor
the new CPU you want uses a "L2 Socket", i'm not sure what your old one use, i did not find any info on it.
you can try this site:
http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUFilter.aspx

some things to keep in mind:
  • by upgrading your CPU and graphcs card your power suply may also need a upgrade
  • with the CPU and graphix card you selected you'll need a minimum of 1024 mb RAM for this system to be effective

Boom!

Ha Ha you missed

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:55 PM

What is the make and model of your motherboard?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:41 PM

AMD Athlon Xp's used 462 Micro PGA, Socket A. I didn't see any on Newegg or Tigerdirect. A google search landed outrageous prices. Your best option would be to upgrade the core components of the computer. Motherboard, CPU, Memory, Video, Power supply. It wouldn't be the cheapest but it would money well spent. Depending on the motherboard choice and what you do with the computer you could get by with onboard video. Whats the reason for upgrading the Computer?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 tim.t

tim.t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:00 PM

hmmm....now i think i need a new mother board and power supply, which will then lead to new RAM......my current computer does have 1024....but as you said thats the MINIMUM.....would it still run well if it was at bar minimum?

Also how do i find out whether or not i'll be needing a new power supply or how much memory is required? Is this just information you just come across or do the spec's of these items tell you I would need to upgrade other things....??.......this is also a learning experience for me so please bear with me =/

i would really like to learn more about building computers and the components as i build/upgrade this one...

As for the mother board...I'm not quite sure what my mother board is...=/ i know my dxdiag says its via technologies, system model kt33-8235. So I'm assuming thats what it is....

the upgrade is really for gaming....first person shooter games mostly....my computer is fairly old now and i figured it's time for an upgrade
it would also be used for 3d modeling(3dsmax and Maya) and photoshoping..

if anything i'll end up building a new computer all together....it seems like the better choice to, rather than upgrade my 4-5 year old computer....
any recommendations.........the computer would mostly be for gaming.....and i'm hoping for a budget around $500 give or take...

well thanks ya'll i really appreciate any and all help/advice!!!

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:15 AM

That Chipset is designed for the socket A processor Here is a Link To MSI for a Socket A Via Kt33 Chipset board and what processors that board accepts. You can problably get by with another slightly faster processor with more on board cache like the Barton core AMD Athlon XP 3000. Max out your ram and upgrade the video card to a 7 series Nivida (they Use AGP 8x) or a similar card from ATI. You will be able to play most DX 9 Games with acceptable frame rates. Any of the new games comming out requiring DX 10 wont run on your computer. All of the DX 10 cards are PCI-X (unless theres one hiding somwhere I didn't see). Depending on the size of your power supply you will need atleast a Very solid 350-400 watt power supply depending on the number of drives, and fans you have.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users