Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Who Do You Think Is The Man And Women Of The 20th Century?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Roadblock

Roadblock

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:39 AM

Hey guys I'm currently at work, and i felt like starting a topic that i find entertaining. I would like to hear your opinions in regards to, who you think is the man and woman of the 20th century and give a brief description why.

Personally i believe that Helen Keller is the most was a name that should be remembered, she went through so much during her life, being deaf, dumb, and mute. Near the end of her life she decided to build a school for people with the same problems as her, to allow them to have a better life. I personally believe that that action alone should give her the title Woman of the 20th century.

Now for the man of the 20th century, i personally believe that Winston Churchill, who was a great British politician. He was also an officer of the British army. His speeches gave inspiration to the Allied Forces.

Let me know what you guys think.
Take care, gotta head get back to doing some work :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:38 PM

Personally, I think Nikola Tesla,who was responsible for so many brilliant inventions,including Electricity.The whole world benefits from this Genius.Imagine a World with no AC Electricity. Here is a link. One of hundreds on the Net.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:01 PM

I would vote for Henry Ford, he invented the assembly line. Which makes it possible for us to get all these neat toys so fast and cheap(?). Just think how the world would be if we had no assembly lines in manufacturing.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:12 PM

Personally, I think Nikola Tesla,who was responsible for so many brilliant inventions,including Electricity.

Sorry, but Tesla didn't "invent" electricity. Neither did anyone else.

#5 seafox14

seafox14

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:25 AM

Personally, I think Nikola Tesla,who was responsible for so many brilliant inventions,including Electricity.

Sorry, but Tesla didn't "invent" electricity. Neither did anyone else.

you are correct MattV, but he is responsible for the development and use of AC electric current generators for long distance power transmition.

Seafox14
5 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Donít be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world

#6 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:02 PM

Wow, it's so hard to choose! So many incredible inventions and developments that affect us each day yet we rarely give a second thought to now.

So, so many 'inventions' re health ... Alexander Fleming who discovered penicillin (depending on who's making the claim) ... both Frederick Banting and Charles Best, co-developers of insulin.

And while I love the ambiance of candles, would have to vote for Joseph Swan/Thomas Edison and the invention of the light bulb.

(Egad :thumbsup: Think we all know that when we say 'invented' we often are referring to a 'development or making use of' something', as in Tesla
and electricity - huge gentle smile).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#7 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:08 PM

For woman of the century, it's a toss-up between Eleanor Roosevelt and Coretta King.

Man of the century is hard, but I would bestow the honor upon Stephen Hawking.

#8 athelos

athelos

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:27 PM

Tommy Cooper. Though he didnt do anything "great" or "ingenious" as such he spread laughter to all ages. This world needs more laughter in my opinion.
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
--Charles Schultz

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:52 PM

Thomas Edison, many inventions and just his attitude and perseverance.
Pamela Anderson
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 fried okra

fried okra

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:48 PM

The man who invented duct tape.

Aretha Franklin.
Arguing on the internet is like trying to blow out a light bulb!!!

#11 Stoj

Stoj

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:13 PM

Hey guys I'm currently at work, and i felt like starting a topic that i find entertaining. I would like to hear your opinions in regards to, who you think is the man and woman of the 20th century and give a brief description why.

Personally i believe that Helen Keller is the most was a name that should be remembered, she went through so much during her life, being deaf, dumb, and mute. Near the end of her life she decided to build a school for people with the same problems as her, to allow them to have a better life. I personally believe that that action alone should give her the title Woman of the 20th century.

Now for the man of the 20th century, i personally believe that Winston Churchill, who was a great British politician. He was also an officer of the British army. His speeches gave inspiration to the Allied Forces.

Let me know what you guys think.
Take care, gotta head get back to doing some work :thumbsup:

Winston is a cowardly excuse for a human being.

#12 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:06 AM

The man who invented duct tape.

Aretha Franklin.

OK, I know Aretha Fraklin ain't no man, and I'm pretty sure she didnt' invent Duct Tape... :thumbsup: :flowers:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#13 athelos

athelos

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:13 PM

Winston is a cowardly excuse for a human being.

Why do you think this?
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
--Charles Schultz

#14 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:58 PM

I don't see the point to this thread. No matter how important any persons action in the twentieth century may be, it is no where near as important to things that were done well before that.

I personally feel that Sir Isaac Newton's derivation of almost all of calculus is infinitely more important than any thing done in the 20th century and anything that will ever be done.

There are only two things, that if ever developed, could change my mind, and that is only because of the significance that they would impact all aspects of human life, including but not limited to our view of a God figure and the way that we view the universe.

These two things would be utilization of worm holes to travel long distances in no time, and discovery of time travel.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#15 athelos

athelos

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:54 PM

So because there have been no "monumental" discoveries of late compared to those of old it makes those discoveries we have made worthless? I think thats doing a discredit to those who have made discoveries or just generally good people themselves.

As for the two things you have listed, while I agree they would be huge achievements and yes they would greatly affect all of human kind I think you are being abit narrowminded there.

I could list quite a few discoveries that could be classed as "great". Off the top of my head, a cure for cancers. Surely something that saves millions of lives must be worth your recognition? In my opinion, anything that would save a single life is considered a great achievement. And whose to say that it has to be limited to inventions. Anyone could be considered not just scientists.

But then these are just my opinions and those are yours...

Edited by athelos, 03 October 2007 - 12:55 PM.

--Charles Schultz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users