Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sygate Firewall

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rebmahc

Rebmahc

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:32 AM

Sorry to be a pain, but ive just looked at Firewall results and performance on this site:

http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-p...sts-results.php

Ive only recently started to understand about Firewalls, and was told Sygate is an excellent free firewall, but according to the results list, its 'Very Poor' and that Comodo is the best free one there is.

Can anyone help me understand fully, sorry to sound stupid. Should i uninstall Sygate and install another one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:40 AM

These types of comparative testing results will vary depending on who is doing the testing, what they are testing for, what versions of the firewall software is being tested, etc. There are no universally predefined set of standards/criteria for testing and each test will yield different results. Thus, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Then you have to consider the features offered by each firewall, the amount of resources utilized and how it may affect system performance.

Understanding and Using Firewalls
What is a Firewall
How Firewalls Work
Comparing Firewall Features
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:57 AM

I'd keep Sygate and give it some time. I'm still using it after many years. These links will help you understand it better.

There's a nice tutorial here since the Sygate forum is now gone.

http://www.kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPFGuide.html

Downloads here:
http://www.savefile.com/projects/1045215

5.5.2710 is said to be the last, most stable version.

For a much better scan, go here:

http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

After initially "training" Sygate, I hide all the running services. That makes keeping track of what I use most much easier.
As a general rule, any applications and services I DO allow, I untick "Act as Server" for extra protection. I'm just a desktop computer. I have no use for "server" functions. If you find out something you've unticked doesn't work for you, turn that back on.

I have only one advanced rule that I've added. I assume I added it because at one time I had a problem like this, but it's been so long I've forgotten. I use Firefox as my browser so maybe that's why I had to add this rule...or it came on after I switched to broadband from dial-up.

Problem with sending/receiving email and certain web pages will not load.

Products:
Sygate® Personal Firewall
Sygate® Personal Firewall Pro

Operating systems:
All supported operating systems.

Details:
Mail clients for POP3/SMTP fail and certain web pages fail to load; mostly noticed with but not limited to secure web logon web pages. If setting SPF to Allow All the web pages begin to load and mail is being sent, then this Advanced Rule should correct your problem.

You probably have a DSL broadband connection that is using a DSL/NAT device or home router. DSL uses a lower MTU value than the default value of 1500 assigned by Microsoft for your network card. The best value can vary per user but for most people the MTU value of 1492 is the highest value that can be set and works for most users. When your MTU value is set higher than what is being allowed by the DSL/NAT modem an ICMP packet Type 3 is sent back to your PC telling your PC the packet that was just sent is too big, make it smaller and send it again. SPF will block this request so you must create the Advanced Rule. Now once Type 3 is allowed the Type 4 should be accepted back but just in case we set the rule to accept both ICMP type 3 and 4.

Step-by-Step:

TOOLS -> ADVANCED RULES -> ADD -> configure below:

- General Tab
---- Rule Description: Allow ICMP Type 3,4
---- Action: Allow this traffic
---- Advanced Settings: All network interface cards
---- Screensaver Mode: Both on and off
---- Record this traffic in "Packet Log" [OPTIONAL]

- Hosts Tab
---- Remote Host: All addresses

- Ports and Protocols Tab
---- Protocol: ICMP
---- Select:
------- Destination Unreachable - 3
------- Source Quench - 4
---- Traffic Direction: Both

- Scheduling Tab
---- Enable Scheduling: UNCHECKED

- Applications Tab
---- [NOT NEEDED]

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:56 AM

Basing a decision about software based on the results provided by one testing group is somewhat risky, since each will use different criteria, and some groups may not be completely independent.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:59 PM

Basing a decision about software based on the results provided by one testing group is somewhat risky, since each will use different criteria, and some groups may not be completely independent.
Regards,
John

True, jgweed. I used to use Sygate's online scans but I also used Gibson's as confirmation.

#6 etalmar

etalmar

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:45 PM

I'd keep Sygate and give it some time. I'm still using it after many years. These links will help you understand it better.

For a much better scan, go here:

http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

The link to the grc test page has been changed:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users