Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Writer Not Working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 byonic

byonic

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:44 AM

Hello, and thanks in advanced for any help you can give. I'm posting this in the XP forum as I think it is a problem with XP's registry.

I am currently having issues with my PC's 2 DVD writers. The PC runs XP Pro, Version 2002, Service pack 2, Xeon CPU 3.06 GHz, 2GB RAM.

One DVD writer is an internal drive, the other is an external drive (LG GSA-4167B). The problem is that they are no longer recognised as DVD writers, so I am unable to burn DVDs or CDs.

Both drives had been working on the PC without problems for over a year, until last week, when I made some changes to the system.

Changes I made:
I updated XP, downloading from Windows Update all the recommended updates and installed them. I also added new software (Avid Xpress) which may have DVD burning function. I also removed the burning software that came bundled with my machine (as it was user-unfriendly), and replaced it with Sonic's Record Now!, a simple yet effective burning software.

Since making the changes, XP doesn't see either drive as a writer, and any software has writing functionality gives the message 'No recorder present' or similar. This includes Sonic and Adobe Encore.

After reading posts on BC forums (and others) I have a suspicion that the problem might be in the registry, and conflicts with old software and new software that uses the DVD writer.

However, after trying two fixes described on the Microsoft knowledge base, I have not been able to resolve the problem.

The only way I have read of this issue being resolved has been a format and reinstall- which I would really like to avoid!

Is anyone able to help?

Thanks
Big Yellow Feet
The production company

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:00 AM

Have you tried uninstalling the devices in Device Manager (Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter) and then rebooting to let Windows re-detect the devices?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 byonic

byonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:13 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for your quick response.

Yes, I have removed the drives form the device manager and rebooted, but unfortunately it did not solve the problem. Sorry for not mentioning that detail in my first post.
Big Yellow Feet
The production company

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:48 AM

Have you uninstalled the motherboard/chipset drivers and installed a freshly downloaded copy?
Have you tried a repair of XP using these directions?: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 byonic

byonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:25 AM

No, I haven't tried either of those things.

I'm not sure how to uninstall and reinstall motherboard/chipset drivers- so perhaps if you could give some pointers?

And doing a repair of XP- it sounds like major undertaking. Not sure if I'm confident enough to do that.
I'll read the linked page though, and try to get my head around it.
Big Yellow Feet
The production company

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users