Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm Infected With Heur/malware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Equine

Equine

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:58 AM

Hey folkz!

Here is my problem:
A few days ago my computer was infected by HEUR/MALWARE (at least that is what my crappy Ashampoo software said). My main program - I don't know it's exact name but it is better known as AVK - found a lot infected files but they were put into quarantine and AVK was not able to disinfect my files. The problem about that is that all the infected files are *.exe out of system32 in Windows. For example I was not able to call the taskmanager any more. After that I installed this Ashampoo-whatever-crap but it just crashed my computer down. Now I cannot even start up windows because the explorer.exe is infected (I think).
I've tried some Virus-Deleter via DOS but with no success.

Now that I've lost about one-third of my life-time I'm about to abolish my computer.
I have surely learned my lesson. Nonetheless I hope I can revive my beloved PC ^^ with your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:18 AM

Some anti-virus programs have the ability to detect unknown viruses of various types using heuristic algorithms detection routine designed to detect common malware characteristics. This technology uses an expert system to analyze the cataloged behaviors and assess the likelihood of viral infection. HEUR/Malware is a heuristic detection routine and is often reported when a program seems to contain suspicious functionality.

What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans?

Can you boot into "SAFE MODE"? If so, perform your anti-virus scan in this mode along with any other anti-spyware program (i.e. Spybot, Ad-aware, Superantispyware, etc) you may have.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Equine

Equine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:34 AM

I'm using Win XP and I've never used any Anti-Spyware-program. I also tried to boot in Safe Mode, but - and that's why I think the explorer.exe is damaged - the desktop and background is shown, as admin I'm also able to run the task manager but I cannot run the explorer.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:59 AM

I'm not sure specifically what you mean when saying "tried to boot in Safe Mode, but..."

If you can get into safe mode, try using System Restore from a command prompt in "SAFE MODE" to return to a previous state before your problems began.

If you can't boot into safe mode and can't boot into normal mode, then you can try using the "Recovery Console". Also see "How to perform a Repair Install".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users