Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icy Docks

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:00 AM

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Icy Docks. Only I think I may just have dropped a clanger when I decided to purchase mine. I was thinking I could have all four of my hard drives installed and be able to turn off any drives when I was not using them.

However, there are no switches to turn individual drives on and off, and it looks as if the only way of not having all four drives running at the same time is to remove the ones your not using, putting them back when needed. This seems like a crazy idea to me, as the drives are not encased and would therefore be exposed and left unprotected. Plus you would be leaving a gaping hole where the drive(s) had been removed. At the same time, it would seem equally as crazy to have a caddy at all, if all you intended was having all the drives turned on all the time.

So, can anyone tell me how these Icy Docks are meant to be used?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:18 AM

What model do you have mate?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:10 AM

What model do you have mate?

It's a MB-454SPF, but I think the other models all work the same

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:44 AM

More info here
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:57 AM

I've never used one of these Icy Docks, but I understand that their purpose is to allow you to hot-swap your drives without having to open your computer case. I do not believe they were intended to allow individual drives to be turned on and off.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:50 AM

More info here

Thanks, but that's the page that convinced me to buy the unit in the first place :-)

#7 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:29 AM

I've never used one of these Icy Docks, but I understand that their purpose is to allow you to hot-swap your drives without having to open your computer case. I do not believe they were intended to allow individual drives to be turned on and off.

Yes I think your right, but if all four drives are connected and you have access to them, why would you want to hot swap them? You can't hot swap the C drive, and swapping any of the others would do no more than just change the drive letters. On the other hand, if it was intended to remove drives your not using all the time, those drives would have to be carefully handled and stored seeing as they only have side rails and no protection. It makes no sense to me to have a caddy if all your going to do is leave all your drives connected.

I did come up with the idea of only connecting two of the bays internally, leaving the drives I don't need connected all the time in the other two bays. Unfortunately, this will not work either. Although the unit has two separate power connectors, no matter which one you connect, all four bays appear to be supplied with power.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:08 AM

Yes I think your right, but if all four drives are connected and you have access to them, why would you want to hot swap them?

You're right, if all your drives are connected there is no need to hot-swap them. I think it would only be useful if you had more than four drives and needed to swap them regularly.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:37 PM

Yes I think your right, but if all four drives are connected and you have access to them, why would you want to hot swap them?

You're right, if all your drives are connected there is no need to hot-swap them. I think it would only be useful if you had more than four drives and needed to swap them regularly.

I had thought about that. But again, that wouldn't make a lot of sense, because each time you wanted to swap drives, you would have to remove the drive from it's side rails, and mount them on the new drive before you could use it.

Maybe I should try contacting the manufacturer. There's got to be some way of using this unit that makes sense. I've already tried the place I purchased it from, even wrote a review for their web site stating the problem I had, but for some reason, they did not allow my review through.

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:48 PM

Hot swapping drives is usually for Raid set ups where if one drive fails the other takes over and you can then remove the bad drive and install a new one. It looks like what this is designed after. As for the rails can't you get more of them?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#11 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:13 PM

Hot swapping drives is usually for Raid set ups where if one drive fails the other takes over and you can then remove the bad drive and install a new one. It looks like what this is designed after. As for the rails can't you get more of them?

I don't know much about using a RAID set-up, but it makes sense what you say. And yes, you can buy separate side rails, although I've not found any for sale in the UK. Even so, they are quite expensive for what they are. Four side rails on their own costing almost as much as a complete unit.

Still, this is not a problem for me as I only have four hard drives, two of which have operating systems on them. These obviously only get swapped when the computer is off. The other two are mainly taken up with backups and True Images, and I don't see any point in wearing them out all the quicker by having them switched on all the time.

#12 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:44 PM

Thanks Everyone

You were right Sneakycyber

I have just received a reply from the Icy Dock manufacturer which says the unit was designed for RAID with the ability to hot swap a damaged drive. But after hearing my concerns, they say they going to consider adding on off switches to future models

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users