Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching To User Admin.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cherylisfun

cherylisfun

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:32 PM

I only have one "user" account set up on my computer.....when i switched to safe mode the "admin" user option is there, so I clicked on it and low n behold all the setting I had on my computer before I messed it up are there. The problem is once I swich back to reg. mode there is only one user account, how do I get that admin. account as my main account so that I can have all of my orginal settings back before I messed it up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:54 AM

I'm sorry, but in XP the "Admin" account is only available in Safe Mode (a user account can have admin privileges, but this is not the same as the "Admin" account).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 06:42 AM

Try creating a new account by accessing the User Accounts applet in Control Panel. The new account should be setup similarly to the Administrator account because of how Windows populates these accounts when it creates them (it melds the All Users profile with the Default User profile).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 cherylisfun

cherylisfun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:18 PM

I'm sorry, but in XP the "Admin" account is only available in Safe Mode (a user account can have admin privileges, but this is not the same as the "Admin" account).

I was afraid of that. =/
Thank you

Try creating a new account by accessing the User Accounts applet in Control Panel. The new account should be setup similarly to the Administrator account because of how Windows populates these accounts when it creates them (it melds the All Users profile with the Default User profile).

I am at work now, when I get home I will try that.
Thank you

#5 cherylisfun

cherylisfun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:11 PM

I created another account and it worked. Thank you very much for y our help!

#6 yr-less

yr-less

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:53 PM

At the login screen, hit CTRL ALT DEL twice. It will bring up a log in box and you can type in "Administrator" in the user name field.

#7 JimB

JimB

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 05:37 AM

At the login screen, hit CTRL ALT DEL twice. It will bring up a log in box and you can type in "Administrator" in the user name field.

How does one get rid of this "Log In" screen. I created a new account yesterday - all of a sudden - I have a Log In Window that has Username/Password.
I'd like to go back to the way it was - turn the computer on - no Log In Screen...

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:41 AM

Go to Start...Run...and type in "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Select the account that you want to boot up with by left clicking on it once
Then uncheck the box that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."
Then click on OK to accept the changes. (you may be prompted for the password for that account - if there isn't one, just leave it blank)
Reboot to verify that the settings have worked - it should boot right into the account for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:33 PM

Hi folks.

When there is more than 1 user account then the Welcome screen or the NT style login pop-up always appears. There is no way around this. XP has no way to know which account you want to log on to until you tell it.

#10 JimB

JimB

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 02:44 PM

Respectfully disagree with you WinCrazy. I just performed Usama's instructions, post #8, and restarted - NO windows log in window.

Usama - thanks. That's the way it WAS, BEFORE I screwed around with it.

Back to normal. Great advice - not bad for an Army guy... LOL!!!

Jim
U.S. Navy (Ret.)

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 06:31 AM

Thanks JimB! I spent 5 years in the Navy (as a Hospital Corpsman) and got out at the end of my first enlistment. 4 years later I tried to join back up and the recruiters wouldn't offer me anything - but the Army let me jump out of airplanes and blow stuff up, so I went with them! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users