Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Acceleration Issues With Wmp And Other Media Programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zoobymoo

zoobymoo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:14 PM

I recently upgraded to Vista and am having major issues with audio and video playback using windows media player. The audios and videos won't play properly. It first had a green screen which I thought I fixed by turning off graphic acceleration. But even with it off, its having problems. Even other programs like iTunes won't play songs. Also, online clips such as sample audio clips or CD previews. Someone please help before I chuck this laptop out the window! :huh:

Oh and I have an HP Pavilion dv4000.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:05 PM

Did you run the "Vista Ready" test?
What version of Vista did you upgrade to?
Did you do a clean install?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 zoobymoo

zoobymoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:31 PM

I have home premium and I did an upgradw instead of a fresh install (stupid I know). After spending a few hours I think I have everything squared away. I had to roll back the audio driver to the XP version and that fixed the audio problems I was having. For the video I was missing the Intel Driver Accelerator (which was there before upgrading to Vista :huh: ) I got that back and it fixed the video problems. No need to turn off acceleration now. Now whats funny is the Intel 915 chipset doesn't provide any Vista drivers. Basically it will support Vista but not Aero on the old XP drivers.

Now the only problem I'm having now is that in Media Player if I pause videos and press play, the audio is gone and the video plays in slow motion. Whats that about? Driver issue still?

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:35 PM

With an 'upgrade' you really should have done a "clean install'...

Intel 915 chipset doesn't provide any Vista drivers. Basically it will support Vista but not Aero

Yes, that's a problem.... but more than likely you would need to turn that feature off unless you had all the latest and greatest video card, harddrive, mobo, etc.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 05:58 AM

Most likely it's an audio driver issue. I'd suggest finding out who made your audio chipset (there's about 60 different versions of the DV4000 listed at the HP website) and seeing if you can download the Vista driver from them. Here's a link to the instructions for find the exact model number: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...oduct&cc=us
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users