Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Recognizing Sound Card?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mszaw

mszaw

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:00 PM

I have a newly installed xp home edition on my hard drive, and it works swimmingly except I went to play an audio file and got a message saying no audio device was detected on my system.

I know only a little about computers but I do know I have speakers, and I know I have a soundcard. The type of sound card is SiS 7012 Audio Device. I've tried to download a driver, thinking maybe because of the new xp install it lost the driver or something, so I download it but when I go to install it there is an error and it says it cannot install it. Then Device manager gives me a message"There was a problem installing this hardware

C-Media AC97 Audio Device

This device cannot start (code 10)"

From here, it is over my head. Before this new install it was working fine, I was watching dvd's and listening to my playlist without the slightest glitch.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:33 PM

Hi mszaw. You also need to load all the motherboard and plugin card drivers after each XP install. XP has some built in, but many others are not, especially the newer ones.

What is the make and model of your computer ? Is it a desktop or laptop model ? If it a Dell, HP, etc., then the make and model will probably be writtent on the front or top of the PC.

Edited by WinCrazy, 11 September 2007 - 08:35 PM.

#3 mszaw

mszaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:38 PM

ooh.. ouch. My computer was put together by a friend many years ago, whom I am no longer in contact with... I did download a program called "EVEREST" that shows me all the info of all the stuff on my computer, which is how I discovered what kind of sound card I have.

Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8SQ800

helpful or no?

#4 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 22 September 2007 - 03:16 AM

Hi mszaw.
Good thing you have found your MoBo manufacturer and type!

Go to the Gigabyte website and search for your motherboard ( www.gigabyte.com.tw ) and you will get all the assistance you need, possibly even UPDATED drivers for the chipset of your board.

They normally give you the choice to download the complete suite - around 2Mb or so- (this I recommend), or individual applications.

I'm sorry that I cannot provide the complete link to the motherboard, but I am still a "noob" when it comes to adding links to this site

Hope this helps!!

Kev'

Found a link to your motherboard!

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Mother...?ProductID=1610 (Copy and paste this to your Internet browser address bar if the URL doesn't work)

Click on the "Driver" option, this will lead you to the chipset, AUDIO, and ATA drivers.

Good luck!!!!

Kev'

Edited by Kevin384, 22 September 2007 - 03:27 AM.

#5 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:35 AM

(Good research, Kevin !)

Hi mszaw.

Your friend should have given you the motherboard's drivers CD that comes with every aftermarket motherboard.

If you don't have this disc then download all the driver files from the Gigabyte site listed by Kevin384 and burn them to a CD. This way, should you ever need to reinstall XP you will have the drivers on hand to get the internet connection working. It you don't have the driver for the networking chip you coun't download the drivers in the first place!

Your friend should also have given you the XP Installation disc along with a valid CD Key. This is alse esential to be able to reinstall XP should/when the need arises.

Edited by WinCrazy, 22 September 2007 - 09:37 AM.

#6 mszaw

mszaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:25 AM

WOW Kevin384 and WinCrazy, thank you SO MUCH! My sound card works now, and I'm gunna burn these things to a CD in case this happens again. Seriously, you guys are life savers, thank you so much!

#7 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:15 AM

Hi mszaw,

Pleased to be of assistance, happy that your audio is now working!! :thumbsup: :flowers:

Anytime you need assistance, you know the guys here will help

Regards, and enjoy,

Kev'

#8 mszaw

mszaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:16 PM

Well, the glory of my sound card working again soon faded. My computer died yesterday. It died a few weeks ago, (kept saying Insert Boot Disk), so I ended up just reinstalling Windows XP (that was when my sound card stopped working). I simply followed the very basic instructions that windows set up was giving me. But I noticed that whereas before my windows was on C drive (my hard drive), this new windows some how ended up being set up on my D drive. I find this confusing because D drive is a CD drive... so was was my computer treating it like a hard drive? I thought it was weird, but it worked so I just carried on.

So then you guys helped me with the sound card, but then the computer died again (it would make some kind of grinding, clicking sound and freeze a few moments, then carry on, and then make another noise, black screen, and then turned off). It asks for the boot disk always at startup. I dont have a boot disk, so I put the windows xp set up cd in. I went to the repair console, and hit "r" like it said, to start repairs, but it told me that it could not find any hard drive on my computer!

So now I don't know what to do, or why it wont find C drive, or why windows got set up on D drive.

If anyone can explain, or direct me in where to turn or what to do, I would appreciate it. I am at a loss, and very frustrated with this computer. Thanks in advance.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 September 2007 - 10:24 PM

The noise you heard could be a sign that your C drive is/has failed and time to replace it.
Another possibility-if you have desktop, open the case and check the drive connections on the hard drive and the motherboard. (unplug the computer first) It could be as simple as a loose connection.

#10 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:56 AM

UMM... JUP!!
One Hard-drive bites the dust!

I have to agree with Queen-Evie, that's the sound of a mechanical failure of the drive.

To explain the "D:" drive scenario, I think that your XP disk had "discovered" your RAM (memory) and seen it as a VIRTUAL hard-drive and tried to load XP to that. Your bios in this case allocated the "C:" drive letter to your CD/DVD-rom drive

A suggestion: try to find out what make of drive it is (Seagate, Maxtor, Hitachi, Fujitsu, Quantum are possibilities).

Ask a friend who has access to the internet to find the diagnostic tools for the drive on the Manufacturer's website and either burn them to a BOOTABLE CD or a floppy-disk.

Insert the CD into your CD/DVD-ROM Drive (ensuring that you have configured your BIOS to boot FIRST from the CD/DVD-rom), OR insert the diagnostic floppy into your floppy drive. (from previous posts, it appears that your bios is configured to boot first from CD/DVD-rom).

I suggest that you ask the same friend to download the motherboard manual from the link that I gave you for your drivers, this will assist you with the configuration of your bios if necessary.

Switch on the PC and allow it to boot from the device (CD or Floppy).

This should load the diagnostics program to your ram and will allow you to do various mechanical and electrical tests on the drive.

I'm very much afraid that the diagnostic will fail the drive on the S.M.A.R.T test which normally indicates mechanical failure.

This then requires you to purchase a new Drive, and reload :flowers: your operating system and driver files again :thumbsup: . NOTE: When you purchase the drive, you must purchase a "IDE" or "ATA" or "PATA" (the descriptions vary) drive, as your motherboard does NOT support SERIAL ATA (SATA) !!

If you do manage a diagnostic, try to post back here with the result.

I HOPE YOU MANAGED TO BURN THE BOARD DRIVERS TO A CD BEFORE THE CRASH!!

Regards and good luck,

Kev'

EDIT:
Please accept my apologies if I seem to take a long time to post back, I do this from home, as our corporate IT folks frown on us using our network for what they consider "frivolous activities".

Kev'

Edited by Kevin384, 26 September 2007 - 11:13 AM.

#11 mszaw

mszaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:00 PM

Yikes. My head hurts at the prospect of having to deal with this.

I was afraid the noises might be hardware failure noises. This will be the third or fourth hard drive that's "died" on me in the last four years. That's not normal is it? I mean what would cause that, I thought hard drives are built to last at least a few years. I am beginning to wonder if it is something that I am doing, although I can't imagine what.

I think I have had a problem with overheating before in my computer. As I mentioned it was put together by an (ex)friend so it's not like I can take it back to best buy or anything. It only has one small fan inside the case, and I have been told both that one fan is more than enough, and that one fan is definitely not enough, and so I decided to do nothing about it.

I guess I will have to try and follow those instructions from Kevin384, and no I was not able to do anything as exhausting as burning cd's the last few days with my computer so I never did get to burn those driver downloads.

Does anybody want to donate a few thousand so I can get an iMac? :thumbsup:

#12 Kevin384

Kevin384

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:35 PM

Hi mszaw,

I sympathise with you, I've recently had major drive problems when upgrading a friend's PC.

However, having hard-drives die after only a year is unusual to say the least - what do you do with your PC, is the demand for storage very great that you would have a lot of read/write cycles? Also, were they NEW or second - hand? If new, I would seriously approach the manufacturer for a warranty replacement, particularly if they are Seagates.

As and when you can do the recommended diagnostic, I will be ready and waiting to advise.

SHOULD you decide to replace the drive, and not contemplate replacing the whole shooting match, I suggest that you invest in a 120cm(EDIT: that should read 120 mm = millimeter, not CENTIMETER) case fan, if one will fit into your case, and secondly I would recommend that you purchase a Seagate drive - the company offers a 5 (YES FIVE) year warranty on their drives. Others may disagree, as is their right, but I stick with Seagate!!

Another thought - how is the drive mounted in the case? Is it mounted in the drive bay, horizontally or vertically? Most drives do not like being mounted vertically, and could probably die if mounted like that. Something to do with the strain on the "bearing geometry" being under too much strain as the bearings are quite small and not intended to cope with "sideways stress" or some such gobbledygook!!

I pomise you that the effort will be worth the hassle, don't lose faith in the forums - we're here to help as much as possible. I wish I could do it for you!!

Regards,

Kev'

Edited by Kevin384, 27 September 2007 - 03:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users