Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Help Please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 teddyshooter

teddyshooter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 06:42 PM

My friend was looking into getting a nice headset like this one : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16826504004

We were wondering since he has a pci slot sound card, that doesn't have any usb, if the sound card will just be a waste/no use? He bought the sound card because he couldn't find the drivers for his sound (newegg never sent the disc with motherboard after he rma'd it) so his integrated sound doesn't work, but would it work if he used usb? Thanks for reading the post!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 baso3456

baso3456

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:43 PM

I just downloaded all the drivers I needed for my new motherboard from the manufacturer's site. Each driver downloaded was listed as an individual download including my audio driver. My new board is a biostar.

#3 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 09:22 PM

Definitely what baso3456 said. What's the motherboard type? We can help you look for it.

#4 baso3456

baso3456

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 01:23 AM

[quote but would it work if he used usb?
[/quote]

The newegg link does not show the product. You will get no sound without the proper driver. It does not matter if you use usb or not. However the add on sound card should work using the generic xp driver or the driver that came with the card. If the sound card is a nice one, then why not use it and buy a headset with regular jacks instead of usb. If the card is surround sound, they have extra plugs for that as well. I know they have both 2.5mm and 3.5mm jacks as well as usb, so you have to make sure the jacks will fit the card. Usually an add on card will give better sound that the onboard. It all depends what you really want to use. If you just want some sound at no cost, then don't buy a thing and just get your free driver and you will be back in business. :thumbsup:

Edited by baso3456, 12 September 2007 - 01:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users