Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Updates

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trumpetman51

trumpetman51

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:19 PM

I am using Windows XP Professional SP2 and with Automatic Updates set to Automatic (recommended). Oft times when the "Updates are ready for your computer" icon appears in the system tray and I opt to INSTALL said updates they sometimes DO NOT INSTALL. They download and report as ready to install and when I give the 'go ahead' they go through ALL of the motions of installing but then at the very end they report "UPDATES NOT INSTALLED!!!!

Does anyone have any clues as to what can cause this to happen? It NEVER USED TO HAPPEN and I don't knopw offhand what if anything has changed!!!

Please Help!!

trumpetman51
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 05:36 PM

I have had problems with MS Updates when they were blocked by Norton's. You may want to try it with a disabled AV.
Apart from that, as I recall there are two ways to find out the reason why an update failed to install.

1) Using Internet Explorer, go to update.microsoft.com. On the left you should have an option for update history (or similar). Clicking on that will take you to a screen showing a list of updates. There should be a question mark for those that are failed, which you can click. This will give you a little more information.

2) The longer, more involved (but more detailed) method is to go straight to the update log. Click Start, Run and type/paste %windir%\windowsupdate.log in the textbox. Its usually pretty hard to interpret unless you are used to it, but look for words like warning or error.

For an official MS article on the issue, you can read it here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

Alot of this post is from memory, so if there are innacuracies my apologies.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 Bugballou

Bugballou

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:48 PM

My preference is to have Automatic Updates notify only. When notification is received I go to the Windows Update website and run the manual scan. This way I have an idea as to what is being installed on my system. I currently do not have IE7, I prefer Firefox or KMeleon, but keep IE6 updated and prefer its toolbar to IE7. Additionally I don't need IE7's security features and cover Internet Explorers flaws another way. Also after the manual scan and update don't let your computer be automatically restarted, say no. You will then see if the updates were installed successfully or not. Then restart the system yourself.
Bug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users