Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Laptop: Vista Or Xp?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Domenicm

Domenicm

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:51 PM

Hi all,

I buying a new laptop because my old one decided to melt itself (literally). Anyway, seeing that I'm leaning towards a Dell Inspiron 1420 or similar, I was wondering whether to get it with Vista or XP, as Dell still offers XP preinstalled on its systems. I've heard both sides of the debate, "Vista's new features outweigh the flaws", and "Vista's just a pretty face on XP." I admit, I can't seem to resist prettiness in OS's.

Is Vista worth the money for the hardware upgrades, or should I stick with XP?

Edited by Domenicm, 11 September 2007 - 05:54 PM.

I like my new telephone, my computer works just fine, my calculator is perfect, but Lord, I miss my mind!
~Author Unknown

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 12:20 AM

Avoid the headaches, don't go with Vista until they have the first service pack out for it, and they will.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:19 AM

Couldn't agree more dc3, XP is much more stable, and you're guarenteed your laptop will work correctly!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:43 AM

IMO a Vista laptop is the way to go. Vista is very stable and has many improved features that make computing easier. That being said, you do have to be careful with adding stuff to it - since it's new not all manufacturer's provide support/compatibility for it.

For example, I just bought a brand new Lexmark All-In-One from WalMart. It's got the little "Works with Vista" sticker on it. Closer inspection reveals that it is a sticker - so it was stuck on after the thing was manufactured. This is a "clue" that the VIsta drivers aren't included with it. Sure enough, it took a trip to the Lexmark website to get the correct drivers.

The same thing goes for software/programs/etc. You'll have to use Vista compatible applications on your Vista system. While you can make most XP apps work, it may turn into a real PITA when trying to do so.

So, if you're looking for the latest and greatest - go with Vista. If you're looking for compatibility with your old apps and hardware - either do the research to see if there is Vista compatible software, or stick with XP.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Domenicm

Domenicm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for the replies! I'll probably stick with XP for now, since I've got quite a bit of hardware that drivers haven't been released for Vista.
I like my new telephone, my computer works just fine, my calculator is perfect, but Lord, I miss my mind!
~Author Unknown

#6 Thunderer

Thunderer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:56 AM

Hi, I own a Dell 9400 (highly spec) and I bought with windows vista home premium. It works extreemly good with no interruptions. Since windows Vista is the new XP now-a-days, go for Vista, even Dell are always there to assist their clients so you do not have to worry about nothing. Also, my laptop do have alot of things installed on it and still everything works fine. Even I did install the office 2000 and works full.

Conclusion, in my opinion go for Vista since it is the latest and now software and hardware are being made vista compatable and the XP out-fasshioned.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:42 AM

In another thread around here it was suggested to go to the Dell support site to look for drivers - and manually key your model in rather than entering the service tag number - that will allow you to select the OS (if available) and see what drivers they've got.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users