Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Find The Usb Connection

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sam-my

sam-my

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:31 PM

When I am connecting my USB device (Disc-On-Key) to my home PC, the appropriate icon
appears on the System Tray (showing that it is connected).
Double clicking on this icon and then on 'Properties' (in the opened window) I get
the window 'USB Mass Storage Device Properties' with the note 'This device is working properly.'
in the 'Device Status' bloc.
When I am clicking on 'My Computer' to open/find the USB, there is no mention of it at all.
I can see there all the other Drives (Floppy, C, D and E) but not the USB (portable device).
Where it is possible to find it?
Notes:
- When I am disconnecting the USB by right clicking the icon on the System Tray
the disconnecting process run normally
- On my office PC the device is working properly.

I am using XP Pro

Thanks for your assitance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:01 PM

does device manager see it?

right click on my computer manage?
does disk management see it?

Edited by DaChew, 11 September 2007 - 04:02 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:20 AM

Thank you DaChew for your time,

1. The Device Manager is seeing it:
Opening the 'Universal Serial bus Controller' I'm seeing 'USB Mass Storage Device'
Double clicking on it I get the window with, in the 'Device Status' bloc : "This device is working properly."

2. I've done the same process using a second USB (different brand from the previous one)
Could'n see it also. In the Device manager found: 'This device is working properly.' Same as above.

3. Done same process using this time an external USB HD (80GB)
clicing on "My Computer" I can see it under "New Volume (I)" but under the column "Type" it is
mentioned as 'local Disk' (same as for the PC drives C , D and E)
No problem opening and working with this external device.

Thanks for assistance

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 05:13 AM

Try reloading your USB drivers. You can get them from the manufacture of your motherboard.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:07 PM

I think the Driver is properly installed:
From the 'Device Manager" I clicked on ''USB Mass Storage Device'
Then clicked on the tab "Driver". It is mentioned "Driver Provider - Microsoft"
I've clicked on "Driver Update" The process ran smooth but still
the USB device doesn't appear in the "My Computer" folder i.e. cannot open/use it

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:49 PM

I wonder if it's just using too much power, are you using other usb devices? There is a rather limited amount of amperage available for usb devices, even a mouse uses like 1/5 of the total

in device manager you can look at each devices usage
Chewy

#7 bino

bino

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:23 AM

try to uninstall the driver and then install it again... and try to look at the drivers properties..

#8 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:12 PM

I had this problem with my daughters Ipod, turned out the computer would find it, but think it was a hard drive. With the usb device connected go to administrative tools- computer management- disk management and see if it may be showing up as a hard drive. If so right click on the drive in the lower part of disk management and change the drive letter to M or later and see if it finds the proper drive type.

#9 Misterdog

Misterdog

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 03:20 PM

I've had the same problem with my laptop, an IBM T40. I discovered, quite by accident, that it was considering it to be a "Portable Media Device". Go to Control Panel, click on "Portable Media Devices" and see if it is there.

#10 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 05:19 PM

Thanks to you all for your time.

1. Misterdog : I can't find "Portable Media Devices" in the Control Panel.

2. Crizz44: I FIND it as per your guidance.
In the "Disk Management" it shows the Basic Disk (the PC HD) under the name 'Disk 0' with its three partitions (C, D, and E)
and the USB device under 'SWISSMEMORY' but with its 'Layout' as Partition and 'Status' Healthy (active).
The issue is that at the lower side of the 'Computer Management' window (where the graphical divisions of the every disc are presented)
I can see :
- Dick 0 : Basic - Online /with the three blocs (one for each partition i.e. C, D, E) and with a dark blue line above the C partition
bloc which means 'Primary Partition' and light blue line above the D and E partitions which means 'Logical Drives'
- Disk 1: Removable - Online / with one bloc 'SWISSMEMORY' but there is a blue dark line above this bloc (similar to the C partition)
which means 'Primary Partition' .
I right clicked on 'Disc1' then on 'Change Drive Letter and Path...' to add a letter. It added the letter H (letters F and G are already
assigned to CDROM and DVD).
I right clicked again on 'Disc1' then on 'Change Drive Letter and Path...' It shows the letter H
Clicking on the tab 'ADD' it shows the button with 'Mount in the following NTFS folder', then cliking on the tab 'Browse' it shows the
three partitions of dick 0 (C, D, E). i.e. I have to "insert" this device to one of the existing partitions?

- I right clicked on the bloc ''SWISSMEMORY (H:)' then on 'Open and I got the content (list) of the USB device , but the
Address bloc was empty.
I clicked on the icon 'UP' to check to which tree folder this open one (i.e. the usb) belong and it shows 'My Computer'
I clicked on the icon 'Back' its shows all the content of the USB device.

Conclusion:
- Now I can open the USB files thru 'Disk Management' then right clicking on the bloc representing the removable disk and
on 'Open' (as detailed above)
- The device does not appear in 'My Computer' even though it seems that drive H is under My Computer tree folder
- Where this drive H hides? How to make it appeared separately under 'My computer' same as for the other drives ?

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 05:44 PM

have you ever had any mounting software installed(drive emulation) that might be interfering with windows mounting the usb drive?

what file system is the drive using?
Chewy

#12 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:36 PM

I know it doesn't sound necessary, but just try a letter like R, further away from the drive letters you have. My does show in my computer. I will need to look at this a little more to be sure I understand. But could you try to make it something like R or S. There is an arrow down button that allows you to chose your own drive letter.

Edited by Crizz44, 15 September 2007 - 08:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users