Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp. Shuts Down, Then Turns Back On

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tehachapi Militia

Tehachapi Militia

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:18 PM

My computer continues to shutdown, then turn back on after 4 seconds. It seems to be the auto power up after shutdown setting in the BIOS menu, but no matter how many times I go there to makes sure it is turned "off", it doesn't seem to take. It is really annoying turning it off using the power button everytime and I am getting concerned about damaging my computer by continuing to do so. Please help! I dont klnow if this info is necassary but I am using Windows XP, Intel dual core 1.8ghz processor, NVIDIA 7900 GS graphics card, 2g RAM, and I can get the motherboard info if I need it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 04:32 PM

I am assuming your saving changes uppon exiting the bios menu? F10 then Yes

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Tehachapi Militia

Tehachapi Militia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 02:04 AM

Yes, I am saving the changes. This is a brand new motherboard. Is there a chance there is a damaged part?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:35 AM

Have you tried another motherboard battery? The parts will sit on shelves for a time before they're shipped to you - and I've had bad batteries very early on with some mobo's.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Tehachapi Militia

Tehachapi Militia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:49 PM

I'll try a new battery, will take a day or two to get it. I'll post back when I try it.

#6 Thunderer

Thunderer

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:00 AM

Hi, I probably have your same problem but to solve it, I just open the case and I use a compressor to clear off the dust from all the fans, video-card and ram. After this I get my PC working as usual untill about 2-3weeks time where I would have to repeat this stage again. It is a bit irritating but I cannot do anything about except to throw the PC away (which I would never do).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users