Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless File Sharing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 deanpcmad

deanpcmad

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 11 September 2007 - 11:10 AM

I have a Wireless Broadband Internet connection from Sky.
I want to share files between PCs but I can't figure out how to do it. I have gone through the 'Set up a Home or Small Office Network' and I can see the Network 'AHome' (Our network - Note NOT wireless internet!)
Posted Image
The office PC (Named 'Auto') does NOT have Microsoft terminal Services or Web Client Network. I don't know why.
And when I click on Autogleam it comes up with this message: Posted Image
And even when I try to access files on this PC from there (e.g Backup) it comes up with this error message: Posted Image

Please can you help me because at the moment I have to get CDs of data and put it in the required PC. I use a memory stick although on the PC 'Autogleam' the USB Ports don't work and the Sound comes out all scratchy. I am wondering if it is the Motherboard.

Thanks

deanpcmad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:34 PM

I think it's a permissions issue. Still, in no particular order, some things to check:
Are both computers connected to some router which is connected to the Sky box?
Are they both XP-home?
Are both computers members of the Ahome workgroup (MyComputer > Properties)?
Are guest accounts enabled on both or if XP-Pro, are the users setup correctly?
Are the folders to share put in the Shared area, or if XP-pro, are the permissions to share given to the users?
Are the software firewalls blocking broadcasts to the router? (probably not, since you can read off the directory structure, so this should be ok)

The office PC (Named 'Auto') does NOT have Microsoft terminal Services or Web Client Network. I don't know why.

I doubt they're needed. You do need the Worstation service to run, and likely NetBios over TCP/IP (Network > Properties ... TCP/IP and drill down till you see something to click for NetBios)

If the office PC is part of a domain, XP-home doesn't seem t work with it too well. Both need to be members of a workgroup, I believe.

Edited by tos226, 14 September 2007 - 09:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users